This is a soft melt in your mouth donuts filled with milk cream. A true appetizer that can be enjoyed any day of the week. In a mixing bowl, add warm milk and to that add instant yeast and mix for about a minute just until the yeast is dissolved. If you are using active dry yeast, you will set the mixture aside until the yeast activates and blooms before you add the rest of the ingredients.
Add the bread flour, soft flour, salt and sugar then lightly mix everything and make a well in the centre and add in 2 eggs. Mix the ingredients together with a spatula until all the dry ingredients are moistened then place the dough on a lightly dusted work surface and knead the dough until light, smooth and elastic. Add unsalted softened butter into the dough and knead it together until the dough becomes very smooth and it is not sticky.
Roll the dough into a ball and place it on a lightly oiled bowl, cover with a plastic wrap and let the dough proof for 1 hour or until it doubles in size. Place the proofed dough on a lightly floured surface and lightly knead it to remove any trapped air then roll the dough and divide it into 8 pieces.
Take each dough and roll it into a ball and place it on a parchment-lined baking sheet and cover them with a damp cloth and let the dough rest again for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Once the dough has rested, carefully place them in hot oil (about 160C) and let them fry until golden brown. Place the fried donuts on a paper towel and let them cool down while the excess oil is absorbed.
For the cream filling, add 500 ml of heavy cream in a bowl together with sugar and whip them on high speed at first and when the cream starts to come together, lower the speed and whip it until the cream is firm. To fill the donuts, cut then in half and generously apply the cream in the center, dust the top with powdered sugar and serve.
- 300g bread flour
- 50g soft flour
- 2 eggs
- 120ml milk
- 7g Instant Yeast (Recommended for Saf Semi-Dry Yeast!)
- 60g sugar
- 60g Room temperature unsalted butter
- 5g salt
- 500ml fresh cream
- 50g sugar
- Mix the yeast in the milk that has been warmed for 30 seconds in a microwave then add bread flour, soft flour, sugar and salt to the yeast mixture and lightly mix the flour.
- Add the egg and mix until all the dry ingredients are moistened then transfer the dough on a lightly floured dough and knead until smooth.
- Add butter to the dough and knead until the dough is smooth and it springs back the touched.
- Put the dough in a bowl, cover it with a damp cloth or wrap, and let it ferment at room temperature for 1 hour until the dough doubles.
- Dump the dough on your work surface and lightly knead it then divide the dough into 8 pieces.
- After rounding the dough, cover it with a damp cloth or wrap, and let it rest at room temperature for 45 minutes to 1 hour until the dough swells twice.
- Heat the oil to 160 degrees, then add the proofed dough and fry it golden brown.
- Place the fried donuts through a sieve and let them cool.
- For the cream filling, add sugar to heavy cream and whip firmly then cut the donut in half and fill them with fresh cream.
- Sprinkle powdered sugar and serve.