This homemade ketchup is a must make. It’s so simple, flavorful and easy to spice up or change up based on what you love, you will need ripped washed tomatoes and you will roughly cit them then transfer them to a pressure cooker and pressure cook them with a little water and make sure the tomatoes are well cooked after 3 to 4 whistles.
Allow the pressure to reduce before opening the pan then the blend the tomatoes into a very fine puree then run the puree into a fine mesh. Place a pan over medium heat and add the pureed tomatoes then add some brown sugar, white vinegar, chilli powder to add a little spicy to the tomatoes. Also, you will add a little bit of salt to balance the sweetness and the tanginess of the vinegar.
Stir it and let it bubble for the next 15 to 20 minutes until nice and thick. The best part about making this homemade tomato ketchup is you can adjust the quantity sugar, you can reduce the sugar to make it into homestyle tomato ketchup or increase the chilli to make it a tomato chilli sauce.
To check whether the ketchup is done, you will do a plate test by taking a few drops of the ketchup on a clean plate and allow it to cool then tilt it and if you do not see any water at the edge of the ketchup then the ketchup is done. Allow it to cool to room temperature then fill a tin and store it until when ready to use. This homemade tomato ketchup can be stored for three months.
- 1.5 kg tomatoes
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cup vinegar
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- Salt to taste
- 500 ml of water
- Roughly cut the tomatoes then put it in the pressure cooker with a little bit of water and cook it for 3-4 whistles.
- Allow the pressure to subside and later open the lid of the pressure cooker.
- Once done, blend it into a very fine puree and run it through the mesh.
- Cook the puree on moderate heat, add brown sugar, white vinegar, chilli powder, salt.
- Let it continue cooking for 15-20 minutes until it becomes thick.
- Put a few drops on a clean plate, tilt it and if it’s not runny then the ketchup is ready.
- Put the ketchup into a squeeze bottle and the homemade tomato ketchup is ready