The magic to these bacon-wrapped smokies bites is in the sauce. A scrumptious combination of ketchup, brown sugar, sauce, and garlic powder give each bite a wonderful sweet and smoky flavor. The smokiness of the bacon and the sticky sweet flavor of the sauce is perfect.
After you bake the little smokies, remove the pan from the oven and switch it to boil. Baste the cooked smokies with a little bbq sauce, and broil several minutes, until it’s sticky. Bacon Brown Sugar Smokies are the easiest and most popular holiday appetizer you’ll find at any event.
- 16 oz package of little smokies
- 15 slices bacon, each cut into 3 smaller sections
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper more or less, according to your tastes
- pinch of black pepper
- Prepare a jelly roll pan, with a layer of aluminum foil, lightly coated with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside. Preheat oven to 350 F degrees.
- Pat sausages dry with a paper towel and wrap each individual sausage with a piece of the cut bacon. Secure with a toothpick.
- Add brown sugar, cayenne, and black pepper to a large resealable plastic bag. Use a spoon to combine the sugar with seasonings.
- Add several bacon-wrapped sausages, seal bag and shake gently to coat. Repeat with all remaining sausages.
- Line sugar rubbed sausages on a prepared baking sheet and bake 30 -35 minutes until bacon is browned. For some extra crispness, broil for a couple of minutes after baking.