These doughnuts are so fluffy so soft and best served with a glaze. You need to make this recipe whenever you have some time to bake because you will fall in love with them. In a jar with warm milk, sprinkle yeast and stir together then set aside for the yeast to activate for about ten minutes. In a bowl of a stand mixer, add flour, sugar, salt, and nutmeg, the nutmeg will make your dough taste like the bakery ones, they will be so delicious but you can leave it out if you don’t want it.
Whisk the ingredients together then add the milk yeast mixture then flour mixture and on a stand mixer with the hook attachment, start on low and knead the mixture u til the dough mixes together than increase the speed to medium-high and beat u til the dough is smooth. Oil a large bowl then place the dough in it, cover it, and let it proof for an hour to two until the dough doubles in size.
Dump the dough on a lightly floured surface and roll it out to about half an inch thick then using a cookie or biscuit cutter, cut the doughnut circle and line them on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Cover with a cling film and let the cut doughnut dough rise for another 45 minutes. For the glaze, you will need melted butter in a bowl then add powdered sugar, vanilla extract, and milk then mix together until everything comes together evenly then set it aside until you are ready to use it.
In a pan, add oil and bring it to medium-high heat about 360 degrees Fahrenheit and once hot, slowly lower the doughnut dough into the oil and let them fry until nice and golden brown on both sides. Place the cooked doughnuts on a cooling rack and then you will dip the doughnuts into the delicious glaze one by one. Let the glaze set before serving them.
- 1 1/4 cup whole milk, warmed
- 2 1/4 tsp or 1 package of yeast
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 3 Tbsp shortening, melted or oil
- 1 egg
- Oil for frying
Glaze for donuts;
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1-1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 Tbsp milk or water, warmed
- In a jug combine warmed milk and yeast, mix and let it foam up for 5-10 minutes.
- In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with a hook attachment, stir together flour, sugar, salt, and nutmeg.
- Add melted shortening and egg to milk and yeast and mix to combine. Add mixture to the flour mixture, mix on low until the dough comes together, increase speed to medium-high and mix for 5-7 minutes.
- Grease bowl with oil and add dough, brush the top of the dough and cover with plastic wrap and a kitchen towel and let it rise for one and a half to two hours.
- Sprinkle a little bit of flour in your work surface and roll out dough to 1/2 inch thick, cut donuts with a round cutter and cut a hole in the center. Place donuts in a baking sheet, cover, and let it rise for 30-45 minutes.
- Make the donuts glaze by combining all the glaze ingredients together.
- Once donuts doubled again, start frying them on hot oil over medium heat until golden brown on both sides. Remove from oil and place them on a cooling rack. Dip each donut in the glaze allowing the excess glaze to drip off.
- Allow glaze to set and enjoy.