This is a moist and fragrant orange pound cake. If you are looking for a cake to eat with tea, this should be the one. In a large mixing bowl, sift all-purpose flour with baking powder and set it aside. Zest and juice one orange then in the bowl of a stand mixer add softened butter and to that add granulated sugar then cream until light and fluffy.
Add in the eggs one at a time and mix the eggs really well after each addition before you add the next egg, mix until the mixture is light. Add half of the sifted flour to the butter mixture alternating with three-quarters cup of milk and half of the orange juice, mix it well then add half of the remaining flour, milk and the orange juice then mix well until you have a smooth batter with no lumps.
At this point, add the orange zest then using a spatula, fold the orange zest in for a couple of minutes then pour the batter into a prepared cake pan that is greased and then lightly dusted with powdered sugar. Bake the cake in a preheated 350 degrees Fahrenheit oven for 55 minutes to an hour.
Take the cake out of the oven and let the cakes sit in the pans for about 10 minutes and then remove and let them sit on the wire rack to cool completely. Serve this cake plain as it is or frost it and enjoy.
- 1¾ (265g/ 9.3Oz) cup all-purpose flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- 1¼ sticks (2/3 cup/141g/ 4.9Oz) butter (softened)
- ¾ cup (165g/ 5.8Oz) sugar
- 3 large eggs
- ½ cup (120ml) milk
- 3 oz (90ml) orange juice
- Zest from 1 orange
- Grease and flour on a large or an 8-in x 4-in loaf pan then preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Sift all-purpose flour, baking powder, and baking soda into a medium-sized bowl.
- Cream butter and sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy. This will take about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time until combined then add half the flour mixture, half of the milk, and half of the orange juice.
- Beat on low speed. Then add the remaining flour mixture, milk, and orange juice. Continue to beat until combined then fold in orange zest.
- Pour batter into prepared pans then bake for 55 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, remove and cool on a wire rack.
- You can serve the cake plain as it is or glazes it then serve with a cup of tea.