This cake is kind of a cross between an apple pie and apple cake and it is easy to make. The first thing you want to do is peel and thinly slice granny smith apple and to the apples add in brandy because it smells good and adds lemon juice to prevent it from browning and toss it around using a spatula. Next, make a really easy butter with gluten-free flour blend, add the flour into a bowl and to that add nut flour if you are allergic to nut flour go ahead and add in more of your flour blend.
To the flour add in sugar, xanthan gum but if your flour blend already has it do not add any more, salt, and baking powder. Whisk all that up and to it add whole milk or milk substitute of your choice and add in your canola oil or coconut oil works great too then add an egg to it and do not forget vanilla and mix it up using a wire whisk. Once all that is evenly incorporated scoop just one cup of the batter and set it aside then add in the egg yolks to the large portion of the batter.
This will make it a really nice custardy base for the bottom layer of the cake and toss it around with the apples. So pour the batter into the prepared apples and fold it in well using a spatula and pour the batter to a prepared 9-inch springform pan that is sprayed with gluten-free cooking spray. To the rest of the batter add in an additional gluten-free flour blend to make it a little loftier and gives it a nice rise on the top layer of the cake.
Spread the batter evenly in the pan and then add in the top layer that you have added the extra layer around. Then sprinkle sugar right on top to create a beautiful brown burnished glaze and crust and crunch and all kinds of deliciousness. And then take it to the oven for about 50 minutes at 325F. Once baked take it out of the oven and let it cool and remove it from the pan and slice into it and enjoy it.
- 1 1/2 lbs apples peeled, cored and cut into 8 wedges and sliced 1/8 inch thick crosswise
- 1 tbsp brandy
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 3/4 cup, plus 2 tablespoons(100 grams) all-purpose gluten-free flour blend
- 1/4 cup(24 grams) almond flour or coconut flour
- 1 cup, plus 2 tablespoons (200 grams) organic granulated sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum (omit if your blend already contains it)
- 1 large egg plus 2 large yolks
- 1 cup canola oil or coconut oil
- 1 cup whole milk or dairy-free milk of your choosing
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Place the oven rack in the lower third of the oven and set the temperature to 325 degrees. Spray a 9-inch springform pan with gluten-free cooking spray and place it on a foil-lined, rimmed baking sheet.
- Place apple slices on a microwave-safe plate or pie dish, cover, and microwave on high for 3 minutes, or until apples are slightly tender and pliable. Drizzle with brandy and lemon juice and let cool for 15 minutes.
- Place 3/4 cup of the gluten-free flour blend, almond flour, 1 cup of sugar, baking powder, salt, and xanthan gum in a large mixing bowl.
- Whisk to combine. Add one egg, oil, milk and vanilla extract and whisk until smooth. Scoop out one cup of the batter and place it in another medium bowl.
- Add egg yolks to the larger portion of the batter and whisk to combine. Fold in the cooled apple slices and pour the mixture into the prepared pan, smoothing the top with an offset (or rubber) spatula.
- Whisk remaining 2 tablespoons of gluten-free flour blend into the remaining batter and smooth batter evenly over the apple mixture in the pan, taking care to spread it all the way to the edges.
- Sprinkle the top with the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar and bake until the center of the cake is set, about 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Transfer pan to a wire rack and allow to cool for 5 minutes. Run a knife around the edge of the cake along the sides of the pan and let cool completely, about 2 hours more. Cut into wedges and serve.