Vanilla Swiss roll cake is fluffy as cloud and light as snow. This cake represents everything good, soft, spongy, feather-light and the filling make it extremely tempting and delicious. In two mixing bowls, separate the egg whites from the yolks then in the bowl with the egg yolks, add a quarter cup of sugar and whisk until they are combined and the mixture is creamy.
Add a tablespoon of vanilla essence, milk and oil then whisk to combine. Sift in cake flour and add a pinch of salt then with a hand whisk, combine everything until you have a smooth batter. Bring the bowl with the egg whites and beat the egg whites with an electric whisk on high speed until it is foamy and has doubled in size then add sugar and continue beating on high speed until the meringue reaches a medium peak.
Add the meringue into the batter in 3 batches and fold it in after each addition. It is important to fold in the meringue into the cake batter slowly with a spatula so that you do not break its structure. Line a 10 by 14 cm baking tray with a parchment paper then pour in the cake batter and bake the cake in a 350 degrees Fahrenheit oven for 12 to 15 minutes.
Once baked, place a parchment paper on the working surface and dust on it icing sugar then place the bakes sheet cake on it, roll it tightly and set it aside. Into a clean bowl, add chilled whipping cream then beat it on high speed for about a minute then add in sugar and beat until it reaches stiff peaks.
Reroll the cake then add on it the cream and spread it evenly on the cake. Roll the cake slowly with the cream and refrigerate it for 2 hours to set. Slice the cake and serve with more cream. Alternatively, once the cake has been baked, you can spread any type of jam on the cake then roll it. Bon Appetit.!
- ½ cup (114grams/ 4Oz) cake flour
- 4 medium Eggs
- ½ cup (100grams/ 3.5Oz) of sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Essence
- 2 tbsp Milk
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1 pinch Salt
- 300 ml Whipping Cream (Chilled )
- ¼ Cup Sugar
- In a large bowl, Separate eggs yolk and whites then add ¼ cup of sugar in yolks and whisk until creamy texture.
- Add 1 tsp. of vanilla, 2 tbsp. of milk and 2 tbsp. of milk in the yolks and whisk gradually.
- Add ½ Cup of sieved Cake flour and a pinch of salt and mix well in a yolk mixture. The texture should be creamy, not runny.
- Beat the egg whites with an electric beater until foamy then add ¼ cup of sugar in it and beat until you get a medium peak.
- Mix the egg whites with batter in 3 parts and gently fold then pour the batter in a baking tray and evenly spread it and gently tap for 2 to 3 times to remove air bubbles.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes in the preheated oven at 180°C.
- Dust Icing sugar on neat parchment paper to prevent sticking and coating.
- Roll the cake gently and cool completely cool on room temperature.
- In another bowl, add 300 ml of chilled whipping cream to a large bowl and add ¼ cup of sugar and beat the cream until stiff peaks form.
- Spread the cream evenly and roll the cake gently then refrigerate it for 2 hours to set.
- Serve with powdered sugar or more cream, enjoy.