This delicious cake has a light and airy texture and its made with just a few simple ingredients, a perfect combination of chocolate and sweetness. To make this cake you will need an 8 inch by 3-inch high springform pan, this type of pan makes it easier to remover the cake once baked. Brush a generous amount of butter inside the pan coating it evenly then line the pan with parchment paper and preheat yp8roven tp 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
Start by separating the egg yolks from the egg whites than in a bowl of a stand mixer, add cream cheese and beat it on medium low-speed for 30 seconds, reduce the speed to low then gradually add the milk. Once the ingredients are incorporated, mix them on medium speed until smooth, Add the butter, sugar and lemon juice then mix on medium speed until incorporated. Sift flour, cornstarch and cocoa powder into the bowl and mix in medium speed until combined for approximately two minutes.
While the mixer is on low speed add the egg yolks and mix until combined. In a clean and dry mixing bowl, add the egg whites and beat them until they are foamy then add cream of tartar and beat the egg whites on medium-high speed when it starts to thicken, gradually add the sugar then continue beating until the egg whites reach a stiff peak. Add the egg whites into the chocolate batter and fold it in with a spatula. Transfer the batter into the prepared baking pan and smooth out the top then tap the pan on the counter to remove any large air bubbles in the batter.
Place the springform pan into a large baking tray and position the pan into the center of the oven then add boiling water into the large pan about one inch high. Bake the cake for 80 minutes at 300 degrees Fahrenheit the turn off the oven and let the cake continue baking using the residual heat for another 60 minutes.
The cake will shrink as it cools and this is normal. Take the cake out of the oven then release the springform pan then invert the cake onto a plate then let it cool to room temperature for about 30 minutes then let it chill in the refrigerator for up to 4 hours. Serve the cake and enjoy with a glass of milk.
- 5 large eggs, at room temperature
- 8 oz cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup whole milk, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp corn starch
- 2 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 tsp powdered sugar for decorating the cake
- Place the 8-inch springform pan inside a slow cooker liner/bag. Secure the bag using 2 silicone cooking bands or cooking twine. Preheat the oven to 300 F (149 C).
- Wrap the springform pan with 3 sheets of heavy-duty aluminum foil. Press the foil firmly around the pan. Fold-down the excess foil and crimp around the pan.
- Brush a generous amount of butter inside the pan coating it evenly. Line the bottom and side of the pan with parchment paper cut to size.
- Separate the egg yolks from the egg whites then add the cream cheese into the bowl of a stand mixer.
- Mix on Medium-Low speed for 30 seconds. Reduce the speed to low and gradually add the milk. Once the milk and cream cheese are combined, mix on medium speed until smooth, approximately 2 minutes.
- Add the butter, 1/4 cup sugar, and lemon juice. Mix on medium speed until incorporated, approximately 1 minute.
- Sift the all-purpose flour, corn starch, and cocoa powder into the mixing bowl. Mix on medium speed until combined, approximately 2 minutes.
- On Low speed, add the egg yolks and mix until combined, approximately 1 minute then transfer the batter into a sieve. Work the butter through the sieve using a spatula. Be sure to scrape the batter from the underside of the sieve as well.
- In a clean and dry mixing bowl, add the egg whites. Beat the egg whites on low speed for 30 seconds. Increase the speed to Medium-Low and beat until the eggs are foamy, another 30 seconds.
- Add the cream of tartar. Beat the egg whites on Medium-High speed until they start to thicken and increase in volume. Gradually add the remaining 1/4 cup sugar. Continue beating until the egg whites reach a medium to firm peaks stage, approximately 3 minutes.
- Add 1/3 beaten egg whites to the batter and gently fold until mostly incorporated. Add another 1/3 egg whites and continue folding gently. Add the remaining egg whites and fold until just incorporated approximately 50 folds total. Do not over-mix the batter.
- Transfer the batter into the prepared springform pan. Using a spatula, spread the batter evenly into the pan and smooth out the top. Tap the pan on the counter a few times to remove any large air bubbles.
- Place the springform pan into the larger 14.5 inches by 11-inch baking pan, the water bath.
Baking the Chocolate Cotton Cheesecake
- Place both pans into the center of the oven.
- Add 7 cups boiling water into the larger pan filling it about 1 inch high.
- Bake the cake for 100 minutes / 1 hour and 20 minutes.
- Turn off the oven and continue baking the Chocolate Cotton Cheesecake for another 60 minutes using the residual heat.
- Release and remove the springform pan. Unwrap the parchment paper around the cake then invert the top of the cake onto a plate covered with parchment paper.
- Remove the bottom pan and parchment circle. Replace with a new parchment circle. Flip the cake onto a cake plate.
- Let the cake cool to room temperature, approximately 30 minutes then place the cake into the refrigerator and chill for at least 4 hours.