This is a beautiful golden-brown crust and a nice soft and moist interior. The first thing you need to do is preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and you will need to either butter or flour your pan. Cream cheese is the difference between dry pound cake and moist pound cake. If you’ve experienced dry-pound cake before, cream cheese will solve all those problems.
Baking powder is another unconventional ingredient in pound cake, a small amount lightly lifts the crumb so the cake isn’t overly heavy and squat. Start by beating your room-temperature butter in a stand mixer until soft. To that add cream cheese also at room temperature then beat everything until nice and smooth.
With the mixture on at medium-low speed, gradually add granulated sugar then beat on medium-high speed for around 5 minutes until pale. For flavouring, add half a teaspoon of pure vanilla extract and a little citrus flavour by grating a lemon then beat that in. Add 6 large eggs at room temperature adding them one at a time beating them for 30 seconds before adding another.
For the ingredients, whisk everything together starting with all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, and half a teaspoon of salt. Start adding the flour to the batter in the additional and beat that in until just incorporated. Do not overmix the batter.
Pour the batter into the baking tin and then depending on your pan type, it will take between 55 to 70 minutes and a toothpick inserted at the centre will come out clean. Let the cake cool on a wire rack for about 20 minutes run a knife at the edge of the pan and remove it from the pan.
- 3 cups (390 grams/ 13.7Oz) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups (340 grams/ 12Oz) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1-8 ounce (226 grams/ 8Oz) package of cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 3/4 cups (550 grams/ 19.4Oz) of granulated white sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Zest (outer skin) of one lemon or orange (optional)
- 6 large eggs, room temperature
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C) and place oven rack in centre of oven.
- Butter and flour (or spray with a nonstick spray that contains flour) in a 10-inch (25 cm) bundt pan.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In the bowl of your electric mixer, or with a hand mixer, beat the butter and cream cheese until smooth.
- Gradually add the sugar, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Continue beating on medium-high speed until light and fluffy (about 5 minutes).
- Add the vanilla and lemon zest and beat until incorporated. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed. Add the flour mixture, in three additions, and mix just until incorporated.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top.
- Bake for about 55 – 70 minutes or until the cake is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and place it on a wire rack to cool for about 20 – 30 minutes so it has time to set.
- Remove the cake from the pan to finish cooling.
- This cake will be kept for about 3 to 4 days at room temperature and for about one week in the refrigerator. Can also be frozen.