This chiffon cake is made with oil which makes it super moist and the additional of cinnamon to this cake takes it over the moon. In a mixing bowl, sift in cake flour, cinnamon powder and baking powder, lightly mix the dry ingredients then set it aside. Separate 4 egg whites from the yolks the in the bowl with the yolks add sugar then mix the yolks and sugar on high speed for two minutes until the sugar is dissolved, the mixture is pale and doubles in size.
Add 40 ml of cooking oil in three additions and mix for about 30 seconds after each addition then add the milk and whisk it in until incorporated, that should take about 30 seconds. Bring the bowl with the egg whites and add start beating it on medium speed until it starts to foam then add sugar in two addition and beat the meringue until glossy and reaches a stiff peak.
Add the meringue in the egg yolk mixture in three additions and fold it in, you want to be gentle at this point because the meringue is what gives this chiffon cake its structure and when you vigorously mix the meringue in, you will not have a fluffy cake. Once you have incorporated the meringue in, add the dry ingredients in 4 additions and mix it gently.
Mix just until all the dry ingredients are moistened then stop, do not overmix the batter. Pour the batter in the prepared cake pan and bake in the middle rack in a 350 degrees (180C) Fahrenheit preheated oven for 20 minutes then lower the temperature to 340 degrees Fahrenheit (170C) and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
Your total baking time should be 30 minutes. Once baked, let the cake cool down for about 1 hour then remove the cake from the pan and serve.
- 4 egg yolks
- 30g/ 1Oz sugar
- 40ml cooking oil
- 40ml milk
- 70g/ 2.5Oz cake flour
- 5g cinnamon powder
- 1g baking powder
- Meringue: 4 egg whites + 55g sugar
- In a bowl, sift the cake flour, cinnamon powder and baking powder. Place egg yolks and sugar in another bowl, using a hand mixer, mix at high speed for a minute and a half.
- Add cooking oil in 2 additions, mix at medium speed for 30 seconds after each addition. Add milk and mix for 30 seconds.
- To make meringue: Place the egg whites in a bowl and add sugar in 2 additions, whip until glossy, stiff peaks form.
- Add the meringue in 3 additions, and mix well with a rubber spatula. Add flour mixture in 4 additions, and mix gently.
- Pour the batter in a chiffon cake pan and bake in a preheated the oven to 180°C, and bake for 20 minutes, then bake at 170°C for 10 minutes.
- When the cake is done, let it cool upside down on the flat surface for 1 hour before removing the cake from the pan and serving it.