This is an easy chicken recipe that is packed with bright and bold flavours. The vibrant flavour of this Mexican dish will make this dish become your family’s favourite. The chicken thighs in this recipe are quickly seared in the pan for that perfectly golden and crispy skin then finished in the oven for the juiciest chicken you will ever taste.
Use bone-in chicken thighs because they will result in an incredibly juicy chicken and the crispy skin adds tons of flavours. The marinade for the chicken is really easy and it starts with chopping the cilantro then add into a mixing bowl, zest in two limes and add in the bowl then you will need the juice of the lime which provides that kick of acidity which you want in this dish as well.
Mince in three garlic for that deliciously pungent and spicy flavour and add three tablespoons of olive oil because you need fat in the marinade to help the meat retain moisture as it cooks. To that add spices together with a teaspoon of honey to balance the acidity then mix that together. Pour the marinade in the chicken then use your hands to mix the marinade with the chicken then marinate the chicken for about an hour in the fridge.
Place the chicken thighs in a pan with oil skin side down and cook them for about 5 minutes until they have a beautiful golden brown colour. Flip them over and cook for an additional three minutes then transfer teh pan to the oven and bake teh chicken thighs for about 15 to 18 minutes. After you take the chicken out of the oven, garnish with slices of lime and cilantro.
- 6 chicken thighs, bone-in and skin-on
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 limes, zested and juiced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves, chopped
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together two tablespoons of avocado oil, lime juice and zest, cumin, chilli powder, minced garlic and chopped cilantro. You can also pulse in a food processor until it’s combined.
- Combine the marinade and chicken thighs in a bowl or shallow dish. Marinate chicken for 30 minutes to an hour in the fridge.