Sponge cake is made with only a few ingredients that you probably have in your pantry, this cake is commonly used to make layered cakes. It is a simple cake that anyone can make. Start by preheating your oven then grease your baking tin and then dust with flour then set aside. Crack four eggs in a bowl then add in vanilla essence and beat the eggs until they are well mixed.
You can use a fork or an electric whisk, you should beat it for at least five minutes or more because the consistency that you are looking for is that of a ribbon consistency. Take another bowl and add butter then add one cup of sugar and blend them both until well incorporated and once done, sift ion all-purpose flour with baking powder.
Blend in the mixture together using a spoon or a spatula then add in the egg mixture that you had prepared earlier and fold the mixture together nicely. Fold the mixture as if you are trying to fill in air to the batter because the airier your batter is the spongier the cake will be. Add in a quarter cup of milk gradually as you continue to fold the batter. Once the batter is well-formed, pour into the prepared baking tin and tap it on your surface so that if there are some air bubbles they will escape.
Bake for one hour at 180 degrees Celcius, to know if your sponge cake is well baked, insert a skewer and when it comes out clean your cake is well cooked. Let the cake rest for at least 15 minutes then run a knife ion the edges of the cake and flip it over to your wire rack. Serve with a cup of tea.
- 250 gms (1 Cup) All-Purpose Flour
- 250 gms (1 Cup) Granulated Sugar
- 100 gms Butter (Salted)
- 75 ml (1/4 Cup) Milk
- 4 Eggs
- 6 Drops Vanilla Essence
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- Pre-heat the oven at 180 C temperature and also grease the cake mould and keep it aside.
- Beat the eggs with the vanilla essence until they are of ribbon consistency, and mix butter at room temperature with sugar using a whisk.
- Sift the All-purpose flour and Baking Powder into the bowl containing the butter and sugar incorporated.
- Using a ladle stir well the dry and wet ingredients, if more water is required pour in milk gradually.
- Add the above batter to the cake mould you had set aside in Step 1, tab the cake mould to release air bubbles and bake the cake in the oven at a “convection” setting mode with the temperature set to 180 degrees Celcius for 1 Hour/60 minute.