This cake is absolutely, without a doubt the best chocolate sheet cake ever. It is moist beyond imagination, chocolatey and rich. Srat with all-purpose flour then add in sugar, half a teaspoon of salt and half a teaspoon of baking soda. Whisk them together until evenly combined then set aside. For the chocolate, start by adding one cup of milk to the saucepan then add in chopped bittersweet chocolate then add processed cocoa powder.
The cocoa powder will give you a deep chocolate flavour Put that over low heat and whisk it then let it gently melt until it comes together nice and silky smooth. Once melted, let it cool then add vegetable oil and add four eggs. Add in one teaspoon of vanilla then whisk that until well combined then take the dry ingredients and add in the whisk until well combined.
Pour the batter into a 9 by 13-inch pan that is lightly sprayed with vetebale oil. Bake in a 325 degrees oven for 30 to 35 minutes and rotate it halfway through so that it bakes evenly. To make the frosting, you should have about one pound of milk chocolate and melt it over your double boiler. Anytime you set up a double boiler it is important that the bottom of your bowl does not touch the simmering water.
To that add heavy cream then let it melt whisking occasionally until smooth. Add in a little butter and whisk it again until very smooth. Once your cake is baked, remove from the oven and let it cool for about two hours. Scoop all your frosting into teh centre of the cake and then work your way to the edges of the cake.
Your cake should be sturdy but still moist with a really deep dark chocolate flavour.
- 1 ½ cups (10 1/2 ounces) granulated sugar
- 1 ¼ cups (6 1/4 ounces) all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole milk
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped fine
- ¾ cup (2 1/4 ounces) Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- ⅔ cup of vegetable oil
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pound milk chocolate, chopped
- ⅔ cup heavy cream
- 16 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 16 pieces and softened
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 325 degrees.
- Lightly spray 13 by a 9-inch baking pan with vegetable oil spray.
- Whisk sugar, flour, baking soda, and salt together in medium bowl; set aside.
- Combine milk, chocolate, and cocoa in a large saucepan.
- Place saucepan over low heat and cook, whisking frequently until chocolate is melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Remove from heat and let cool slightly about 5 minutes. Whisk oil, eggs, and vanilla into the chocolate mixture until smooth and homogeneous.
- Add sugar mixture and whisk until combined, making sure to scrape corners of saucepan.
- Transfer batter to prepared pan; bake until firm in the center when lightly pressed and a toothpick inserted in centre comes out with few crumbs attached, 30 to 35 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through baking.
- Let cake cool completely in pan on a wire rack before frosting, 1 to 2 hours.
For the frosting;
- While the cake is baking, combine chocolate and cream in a large heatproof bowl set over saucepan filled with 1 inch barely simmering water, making sure that water does not touch the bottom of bowl.
- Whisk mixture occasionally until chocolate is uniformly smooth and glossy, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Remove bowl from saucepan. Add butter, whisking once or twice to break up pieces.
- Let mixture stand for 5 minutes to finish melting butter, then whisk until completely smooth.
- Refrigerate frosting, without stirring, until cooled and thickened, 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Once cool, whisk frosting until smooth.
- Spread frosting evenly over top of the cake. Cut cake into squares and serve out of the pan.