This chocolate cake is the best thing to make because it’s so delicious and also really simple to make. To make the cake, you start with the chocolate about 70%+ bittersweet chocolate melted in a double broiler with some butter until it’s nice and smooth. You can make your own double boiler by placing a glass bowl on top of a pot of simmering water on the stove.
You’re then going to start making your batter by beating egg yolks and sugar. Then you add in the second most important ingredient and flavour booster – espresso powder. Espresso powder is great to use in baking with chocolate because you don’t really taste it all that much, but it really helps to bring out that chocolate flavour and it makes the cake super extra.
To get the perfect dense but light texture you are going to beat the egg whites with sugar to make a meringue that you fold into the chocolate mixture. Your batter should be smooth and thin at this point. Bake the cake for 40-45 minutes and once the cake is ready, you can top it with anything you heart desires like whipped cream, ice cream, powdered sugar, cocoa powder or you can just eat it all by itself and enjoy all the wonderful chocolate without anything sharing the spotlight.
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for the cake pan
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate, preferably 70 per cent cacao, chopped
- 6 large eggs, separated, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 3 tablespoons instant espresso powder
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Invert bottom of a 9-inch springform pan and line with a parchment round; butter parchment.
- Melt butter and chocolate, stirring until smooth, in a bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water.
- Beat together egg yolks and 1/2 cup sugar with a mixer on medium-high speed until thick and pale, about 3 minutes.
- Add espresso powder and salt; beat until combined, about 1 minute. Add vanilla and melted-chocolate mixture; beat about 1 minute more.
- In another bowl, beat egg whites on medium-high speed until foamy. Increase speed to high; gradually add remaining 1/2 cup sugar, beating until stiff peaks form, about 5 minutes. Fold into chocolate mixture in 3 batches.
- Transfer batter to pan and bake until set, 40 to 45 minutes. Let cake cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- Remove side of pan; transfer cake to a serving plate. Serve glaze alongside the cake.