Made using a soft sponge cake with an extremely creamy centre, the Tiger Skin Swiss Roll is a delicious dessert. Begin by combining all the wet ingredienst plus the instant coffee, so add the instant coffee to the warm milk then add melted butter,and vanilla and set that aside. In a different bowl, combine cocoa powder and cake flour, mix it well then set that aside. Beat the egg yolks in another bowl then add sugar and continue beating that until light and fluffy.
Sift in the cocoa and the cake flour mixture into the egg yolks then combine the two ingredients. Start adding the liquid ingredients into the mixture and mix it until well combined then set it aside. For the meringue, start beating teh egg whites until it is frothy then gradually add sugar and continue beating until you reach a stiff peak.
Start adding the meringue into the chocolate mixture using the folding method. It is important nit to overmixit or else the cake will be deflated. Line your swiss roll pan with parchment paper then spread the batter evenly and bake at 180 degrees celsius for about 15 minutes. Let your cake cool down completely once baked.
Melt your chocolate chips then add icing sugar ino the cream and beat that until it forms a stiff peak. It is important to check teh temparature of your chocolate and make sure it is not too hot. Add a dollop of cream into the ganache and combine it fully into the whipped cream them fold the mixture together.
Add the filling to your swiss roll cake then roll it and onto the tiger skin, add the icing then pit the swiss roll ontop and roll it. Trim the edges and enjoy the delicious tiger roil cake.
Tiger Skin sponge;
- 6 Egg yolks
- 1 Egg white
- 45g Self Raising Flour
- 50g Caster sugar or Icing sugar
- 1/2 tsp SP (cake stabilizer)
- 1/4 tsp Egg yellow colouring
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
- 20g Melted butter
- Use high speed to whisk eggs, sugar, vanilla extract, egg yellow colouring and SP till pale and fluffy.
- Then use a hand whisk to mix in the self-raising flour and lastly pour in melted butter.
- Pour batter into prepared tray and put at the centre rack of the oven, bake at preheated oven at 200C for 10-12 mins.
- Remove sponge cake from tray immediately after baked and leave to cool.
- 3 Egg yolks
- 2 Egg whites
- 75g Sugar
- 50g All-purpose flour (Plain flour) – sifted
- 12g Cornflour
- 1/2 tsp Baking powder
- 1 tsp SP (cake stabilizer)
- 1 tbsp Ice water
- 30g Melted butter
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
- 2 tsp Chocolate paste
- Use high speed to whisk eggs, sugar, vanilla extract and SP till pale and fluffy.
- Lower speed, add in flour ingredients and ice water follows by chocolate paste, mix well.
- Lastly, add in melted butter.
- Pour batter into prepared tray and put at the centre rack of the oven, bake at preheated oven 200C for 10-12 mins.
- Remove sponge cake immediately after baked and leave to cool, then gently tear away the sponge cake skin with your fingertips.
- Due to the chocolate sponge is too soft to handle, cut the sponge cake into half.
Ganache Cream filling;
- 125g Semi-sweet chocolate
- 20g Butter
- 90g Whipping cream
- Chop semi-sweet chocolate into smaller pieces and put it in a bowl together with the butter.
- Boil whipping cream at medium heat and pour on the chocolate pieces.
- Use a hand whisk to stir till chocolate melted and smooth, leave to cool.
- Put ganache cream in the fridge for few mins till semi-set, stir well and spread on sponge cake.
- Place the tiger skin sponge (skin facing down) with a large baking sheet below.
- Spread ganache cream evenly on it and place the two half chocolate sponge on top vertically side by side.
- Spread another layer of ganache cream on it ~not too thick~ then roll it up and wrap with the baking sheet.
- Put the roll in the fridge for the ganache cream to set for about an hour.
- Dip your knife in hot water and quickly dry it off before each cut.