Baked chicken thighs marinade will become a regular on your weeknight menu. These delicious dishes are perfect for boneless, skinless chicken or bone-in and skin chicken. Buying chicken thighs with or without the bones is really a matter of preference. Boneless thighs cook a little quicker, but bone-in thighs are slightly cheaper because there is no extra work required by the butcher. Marinades are a simple way to elevate any meal. Just mix all of the ingredients of choice together.
Let the chicken marinate for at least 15-20 minutes. If you want to put the chicken in the marinade in the morning so they are ready to cook at dinner time, just leave them in the refrigerator. You can refrigerate chicken thighs in marinades up to 24 hours in the fridge, and if you’re in a pinch, 15 minutes is really all you need for your chicken to get the flavor you’re looking for. Chicken thighs are more tender than breasts so you’re not using the marinades to tenderize the meat. You’re simply looking to add flavor.
The best way to know that your thighs are fully cooked is to use a meat thermometer. It should read at least 165 degrees Fahrenheit in the thickest portion of the meat. Also keep in mind that thigh meat will look pinkish-brown, even after cooking. Breast meat will be white when fully cooked. When using boneless chicken thighs, you will need to cook for 20 minutes in a 425 F oven but this is just a general guideline. Using a meat thermometer is the safest way to know your meat is cooked.
Alternatively, you can mix all ingredients together in a large plastic zip-top storage bag, add the chicken making sure to coat each piece. Place chicken and sauce/marinade in a baking dish or leave in a large plastic bag to marinate in the refrigerator until ready to cook.
When ready to cook, bake in a 425-degrees F oven for 25 minutes with the skin side up. Flip the chicken and cook skin side down another 10 minutes. Then turn the chicken again to skin side up and finish cooking for another 10 minutes to crisp up the skin for a total of 45 minutes, or until done. Cook until an internal temperature of chicken reads 165-degrees F.
- 3 pounds chicken thighs
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 5 tablespoons honey
- 4 cloves of garlic; minced or substitute 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425-degrees F.
- Mix the first 6 ingredients together in a large plastic zip-top storage bag. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add the chicken to the plastic bag, seal bag and turn chicken to coat each piece, then place in the refrigerator to marinate until ready to cook, up to a day ahead.
- When ready to cook, add chicken and marinade to a baking dish in a single layer. Bake chicken in a 425-degrees oven for 25 minutes with the skin side up.
- Flip the chicken and cook skin side down for another 10 minutes.
- Then turn the chicken again to skin side up and finish cooking for another 10 minutes to crisp up the skin, for a total of 45 minutes.
- Cook until an internal temperature of chicken reads 165-degrees F.