Lachha paratha consists of many layers and is very soft, a perfect dish for any day of the week. This recipe is made with very little ingredients that are easy to find in most households. You will start by kneading the dough, add salt and a teaspoon of oil to the flour then start mixing with your hands and add a little water at a time and knead the flour.
Use half the amount of water than flour. Knead the dough until it is well-formed and soft then pour a little water on the top and cover it. Once chilled, roll the dough once more then take a little amount of dough equal to the size of your pan, dust in flour then roll the dough into about 8 to 10-inch diameter.
Layer some oil on top of the rolled paratha then spread half a teaspoon of chaat masala on the surface to enhance the taste of the paratha. Fold the dough from one end to the other than spread some oil on the sides as well and fold it in then dust with flour again and using a rolling pin, roll the dough one more into about 10-inch diameter. Spread oil into the round fry pan and heat it until hot then place your rolled paratha dough.
Flip the paratha when it starts to get roasted from beneath. Cook the paratha on a medium flame and then spread some oil on the upper surface and tur it. Spread oil on the sides as well, cook it until it starts to get a brown spot on both sides. Flip again for a couple of times, till the parathas are browned evenly and well cooked.
Press the sides with the spatula while frying the parathas. Once the paratha is ready, take it out and place it on a bowl. Serve the paratha hot with any curry recipe or any stew of your choice and enjoy it.
- 2 cups wheat flour
- 1 to 2 teaspoon ghee or oil
- Salt as required
- Water as required for kneading
- Ghee or oil as required for applying on the dough as well as the roasting
Kneading paratha dough;
- In a bowl or vessel take 2 cups whole wheat flour along with salt as per taste.
- Add 1 to 2 teaspoons of ghee or oil. next, add water as required in parts.
- Knead the whole wheat flour with water to a smooth dough. Cover and keep aside for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Later make medium sized balls from the dough. Cover the bowl or the pan with a napkin or lid.
- Take a dough ball. Roll it into 6 to 7 inches diameter disc on a dusted rolling board.
- Apply ghee or oil liberally on the paratha disc. Sprinkle some flour on the top.
- From the edges start to fold & pleat the paratha till the end.
- Roll the pleated edges tightly. Join the edges.
- Lightly dust with flour and now roll into round parathas of about 4 to 5 inches in diameter.
Roasting paratha on the griddle;
- Heat the disc-shaped frying pan or griddle. The pan should be hot. Place the paratha on the pan.
- Turn the paratha when one side is partly cooked. Apply ghee on this side. Cook for a minute.
- Now turn again and apply ghee on the other side.
- Flip again for a couple of times, till the parathas are browned evenly and well cooked. Press the sides with the spatula while frying the parathas.
- Alternatively, you could also add some ghee on the pan and then fry the paratha.
- Serve the paratha hot with any curry or stew of your choice.