The basic idea of the chicken lollipop is to cut the meat around the base of the chicken wing drumette and pull it towards the top so it’s shaped like a lollipop. Chicken Lollipop is perfect for parties, since its very easy to make. You can make this in just three steps, fold – mix – fry.
You need to cut the bottom part of the chicken and fold the meat upside. You can see the cut marks I have in the picture below and how it looks. Sometimes you can get it done at the store however you can easily do it at home. Coming to the marination part of this chicken lollipop recipe, coat the drummettes in a mixture of garlic, ginger, ground black pepper, red chili paste, and soy sauce.
While the chicken pieces are in the refrigerator absorbing all the flavors, we’ll prepare the batter.
- 1 kg chicken drummettes
- 2 tsp minced ginger (ginger paste)
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 4 tsp red chili paste (see notes below)
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp Kashmiri chili powder
- 3 tsp white vinegar
- Oil for deep frying
- Salt to taste
- To prepare the drummettes, first, separate the meat from the bone on the thinner part and then push the meat down. Scrape the exposed bone to make it as clean as possible.
- Place chicken, half of the minced ginger, half of the minced garlic, ground black pepper, 2 tsp red chili paste and soy sauce in a bowl. Season with salt.
- Coat chicken in the marinade. Set aside. Marinate for 30 minutes in the refrigerator if time permits.
- Place all purpose flour, cornflour, egg, 1 tsp minced ginger, 1 tsp minced garlic, 2 tsp red chili paste, red chili powder, and white vinegar. Season with salt.
- Meanwhile, heat oil for deep frying. Dip chicken in the batter, one at a time, and place in the oil. Fry until cooked through. Drain on an absorbent towel. Set aside.
- Serve with your favorite dipping sauce.