This carrot cake roll with cream cheese filling is perfect for any moment and a great way to make plain old carrot cake more fun. The cream cheese frosting is on the inside and it’s very velvety, smooth and delicious. Start off with your eggs in a mixer at medium-high speed and you are going to beat them until fluffy and creamy.
For your dry ingredients, pour your flour in a bowl together with nutmeg, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, and ginger powder. Mix the dry ingredients together. Into the mixer, add white granulated sugar and a teaspoon of vanilla and then gradually add in the dry ingredients on low speed. Once the dry ingredients have been, stir in two cups of shredded carrot and combine until the carrot is mixed well in the batter.
Pour your batter is a baking sheet greased and lined with parchment paper then bake it for around 15 minutes or until golden brown on the edges. Once bakes, dust a tea towel then place the cake on the towel and roll it up using the tea towel. For the filling, basically, whip your cream cheese and butter in a bowl then add in vanilla extract and about two cups of powdered sugar.
Blend them together until nice and smooth. Unroll the cake roll from the towel and then spread the filling int the cake, try not to put too much at the edges because when you roll your cake out, it will squish forward and get over the place. Once you have rolled back your cake, wrap in a plastic wrap and then you are going to place it in the refrigerator until it is completely chilled. Once your cake roll is chilled and firm, slice it and serve.
- 3 large eggs
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 cup cake flour
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- powdered sugar for rolling
For the Cream Cheese Filling;
- 6 oz cream cheese at room temperature
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter at room temperature
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Generously sprays a 10×15 in jelly roll pan with cooking spray, line with parchment paper.
- Spray paper with cooking spray and lightly flour it. Set aside.
- Beat eggs on high for 3 minutes. Add sugar and beat for 3-4 minutes, on high until pale and frothy.
- Add vanilla extract and oil, mix to combine.
- In a separate bowl combine flour, salt, baking powder, ginger, nutmeg, and cinnamon.
- Stir dry ingredients into wet ingredients, until just combined, Do not over mix, stir in carrots.
- Transfer mixture into prepared pan, spread it using a spatula. Bake for 15-16 minutes until done, but still soft.
- While carrot cake is baking, line a clean kitchen towel and sprinkle a generous amount of powdered sugar over it.
- When the cake is finished baking, take it out of the oven and quickly turn it over the kitchen towel, sprinkled with powdered sugar.
- Starting at the short end, roll the cake with the towel.
- Let it cool completely for a few hours.
- While the cake is cooling, make the frosting.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, beat butter and cheese until smooth.
- Add vanilla, then powdered sugar and beat until smooth.
- When the cake is completely cool, carefully until it. Spread cream cheese frosting evenly and roll tightly.
- Chill cake roll for 1 hour, so it firms up a little.
- Dust the top with powdered sugar. Slice and enjoy