Caramel is delicious on things like ice cream or doughnuts but have you ever tried it on something savory.? These caramelized chicken wings are super delicious and you can use boneless chicken or chicken thighs. The first thing to do is make the marinade, super simple it only needs two ingredients; brown sugar and fish sauce. Whisk that up then mix it to your chicken wings and make sure everything is well coated in that delicious marinade. Let your chicken wings marinate for about 20 minutes while you are preparing the sauce. Peel the skin of your ginger then grate it up, grate some garlic also then chop some red chilies and some scallion.
Once your chicken has marinated enough, pour some oil over your pan on medium heat. Pat your chicken dry o some paper towel then put it in the pan, you don’t have to fully cook your chicken at this point, just brown it on both sides. Once browned, remove your chicken wings fro the pan and what’s left in the pan is goon t further flavor the sauce. Add some brown sugar in the pan and a little bit of water and let that start to caramelize. As it cooks down, use a wooden spatula to scrap everything that stuck in the pan then go ahead and add in the garlic and ginger, chilies, some rice vinegar, and fish sauce. Add the chicken wings back int the pan and cover that up and let it simmer at really low heat for about ten minutes.
Turn over your chicken on the other side and cover the pan once again for a few minutes. Once the sauce has thickened up, that’s your caramel right there. You know your chicken wings are ready to serve when all the sauce pulled away from the pan and its sticking onto the chicken wings. Serve your caramelized chicken wings and sprinkle some green onions and enjoy your wings.
- 2 lbs chicken wings
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- Ground black pepper to taste
For the sauce;
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- A ½ cup of water
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp ginger, grated
- 2 bird’s eye chili, sliced
- Oil for pan
- 2 tbsp scallions, thinly sliced
- In a bowl, combine chicken wings with marinade ingredients.
- Cover and allow to marinate for at least 20 minutes. Pat dry wings with a paper towel.
- Heat a large pan on medium and drizzle some oil. Once hot, add the wings and allow to brown on both sides.
- Remove from pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, add brown sugar and 2 tablespoons of water. Stir as it melts and begins to bubble. Stir in the rest of the ingredients.
- Add the chicken wings back into the pan, lower the heat to simmer, cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Uncover flip wings and cook for another 10 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat when the sauce has thickened and the wings are fully cooked.
- Garnish with sliced scallion on top.