This super easy potato stew comes together in about an hour and its hearty, comforting and super delicious. With potato stew, you will of cos need some beef but you can also do without. The ingredients in this recipe may be simple but together, they make a truly awesome dish. Pair this with your favourite flatbread, freshly baked dinner rolls or a loaf of french bread for a hearty meal that the whole family will love. Green beans or sweet peas are also a great addition to this meal.
The colder the stew gets, the thicker it becomes. Therefore, you may need to add some water when warming it to thin it out. Start by cutting your beef into small bite sizes so that the beef will be very tender by the time it is done the cooking. You will also cube your potatoes and cut big chunks of carrots so that by the time you are done cooking they won’t be mushy.
Season your beef with salt, paprika, black pepper and garlic powder then give it a good mix and set it aside. Into your cooking pan, add oil and let it heat then add the beef and all you want to do at this point is just to brown the beef for about ten minutes. Once well browned, throw in your diced onions, chilli pepper and bay leaves then let it cook until the onions become golden brown.
Add in diced tomatoes, tomato paste for colour and flavour then mix it thoroughly until everything is well combined then let it simmers for about three minutes. Add two cups of beef stock and two cups of water then cover it and let it come to a boil then add the potatoes and carrots. Once everything has been added, let it cook for about 20 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
Add your celery after the potatoes are tender, celery is just a mixture of two tablespoons of cornstarch with two tablespoons of water, this is what will help thicken up your stew. Let your potato stew simmer for another 2 to 3 minutes then remove from heat and serve with rice.
- 1 1/2 lb Beef cubed
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tsp garlic powder
- 1 onion diced
- 2 Tsp paprika
- 2 cups Chicken stock or vegetable stock
- 3 Tomatoes Diced
- 2 Bay leaves
- 2 lb potatoes peeled and cubed
- 11/2 lb Carrots
- 3 Tsp parsley Chopped
- 3 Red Chili Pepper or to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Season the beef with salt, black pepper, and paprika.
- Preheat the olive oil in a large pan. Once the oil is hot, add the beef then brown the meat all over.
- Throw in the diced Onions, bay leaves, and chilli peppers; cook until the onion is tender and translucent.
- Stir in the Tomatoes and Tomato paste and leave to simmer for about 3 minutes, so that the Tomatoes can release some of its juice.
- Add stock and water and let the beef cook in the juice for about 15 minutes.
- Add the Potatoes and Carrots. Cover and cook for about 20 minutes or until the potatoes are fork-tender.
- Meanwhile, combine the cornstarch and water and mix until smooth once the potatoes are done and stir in the slurry.
- Let it simmer for about two more minutes until it thickens and stir in the Parsely.