This is a really nice cake, it has a golden-brown crust and it’s rich and buttery with a moist and tender crumb. To start, preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and butter your loaf pan then lune the bottom with a parchment paper. Break 3 large eggs in a large bowl then add milk, one and a half teaspoon of vanilla extract then use a wire whisk to blend them together.
Place the dry ingredients in a bowl starting with sifted cake flour then add granulated white sugar then one teaspoon of baking powder and salt. Blend them together at low speed. Add unsalted butter and make sure your butter is at room temparature so that it can blend in the dry ingredients. A pound cake is all about the butter so make sure you use good quality butter to your cake. To that, add then egg mixture then beat on low speed just until everything is incorporated.
You want everything to be moistened. Increase the speed to medium and bat to about a minute. The beating will help to aerate the butter and to develop the cake structure. Pour the batter into your prepared loaf pan and use a spatula to level the batter in the pan. Bake in the oven for 55 to 65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted at the centre comes out clean. Once done, it should have a lovely golden crust.
Let it cool for about ten minutes then take it out of the pan using a knife by running it on the edges. Let it cool completely and you can cover and store the cake for several days or stire in the fridge for about a week.
- 3 large (150 grams) eggs, at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons (40 grams) milk, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons (6 grams) pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups (150 grams) cake flour
- 1 teaspoon (4 grams) baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon (1 gram) salt
- 3/4 cup (150 grams) granulated white sugar
- 3/4 cup (170 grams) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C) and place the oven rack in the center of the oven.
- Butter or spray with a non stick vegetable spray, a 9 x 5 x 3 inch (23 x 13 x 8 cm) loaf pan.
- Line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper and butter or spray the paper.
- In a bowl, whisk the eggs, along with the milk and vanilla extract.
- In the bowl of your electric stand mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, place the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar, and beat on low speed until well mixed.
- Cut the butter into pieces and add to the dry ingredients, along with half of the egg mixture.
- Mix on low speed until the dry ingredients are moistened.
- Increase the mixer speed to medium and beat for about one minute to develop the cake’s structure.
- Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed.
- Add the remaining egg mixture, in two additions, beating well after each addition to incorporate the egg and strengthen the cake’s structure.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top with an offset spatula or the back of a spoon.
- Bake for about 55 to 65 minutes or until the cake is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Rotate your loaf pan about halfway through baking.
- Remove the cake from the oven and place on a wire rack to cool for about 10 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the pan and cool completely on a lightly buttered wire rack.