This almond cake looks like a two-layer cake of goodness, on the bottom is s vanilla-flavored white butter cake, and then on top is a wonderful mixture of almond butter and sugar that when it bakes it becomes nice and crisp and crunchy. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit(180 degrees Celcius) and then you will need a 9 inch which is 23 centimeters springform pan which is much easier to get the cake out of the pan once baked.
Butter the inside of the pan with melted butter or you could use the nonstick sprays. To make the batter, you can use a stand mixer with a paddle attachment or a hand mixer or in a bowl with a wooden spoon. Add room temperature butter in the bowl then beat on medium speed until nice and smooth then add sugar and mix on high speed just to get some air in the cake which will make the cake have a lighter texture. Add two large eggs one by one and beat after each addition together with vanilla essence.
In a separate bowl, prepare the dry ingredients starting with all-purpose flour then add baking powder and salt, if you used salted butter you will not add salt to the dry ingredients. Mix the dry ingredients together to make sure the salt and baking powder is well dispersed in the flour then add that to the butter mixture and mix it in. Pour the batter into the prepared springform pan then depending on your oven, bake for 18 to 20 minutes, it will rise and take some color to it and a toothpick inserted at the center comes out clean.
When you have about 9 to 10 minutes of baking your cake, start making the almid topping, in a medium-sized saucepan, add butter, sugar, sliced almonds then cream and over medium heat, stir frequently while the butter is melting, you want to bring it just to a boil. Once the cake is done and out of the oven, take your almond toppings and pour over the hot just-baked cake and spread it out as evenly as you can then put to bake in the oven for an additional 18 to 20 minutes.
Once done, remove from the oven and on to a wire rack to cool, as it cools, it will get really crispy and crunchy. Run a spatula along the inside of the pan then slowly release the clamp of the springform pan. When you combine the sweetness of the vanilla cake and the almond, it becomes a really great cake, you can serve it for breakfast or any time of the day. Cover it and store it if it will last that long.
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons (150 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon (4 grams) baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon (1 gram) salt
- 7 tablespoons (100 grams) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon (115 grams) granulated white sugar
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons (8 grams) pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup (150 grams) granulated white sugar
- 7 tablespoons (100 grams) unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons cream (can use a heavy or light cream)
- 1 1/2 cups (150 grams) sliced almonds
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C). Butter (or spray with a nonstick vegetable spray) a 9 inch (23 cm) springform pan.
- In a bowl, sift or whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Next, in the bowl of your electric stand mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment (or with a hand mixer), beat the butter until smooth. Add the sugar and beat until thoroughly mixed together.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Scrape down the sides and bottom of your bowl as needed. Beat in the vanilla extract. Beat or fold in the flour mixture, mixing just until combined.
- Pour the batter into your prepared pan, smoothing the top with an offset spatula or the back of a spoon. Bake for about 18 – 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out just clean.
- While the cake is baking prepare the Almond Topping. Place all the ingredients in a saucepan and stir, over medium-low heat, until melted and the mixture comes to a boil.
- As soon as the baked cake is removed from the oven, immediately pour the hot Almond Topping over the cake, smoothing with the back of a spoon or an offset spatula.
- Return the cake to the oven and bake for a further 18 – 20 minutes or until the topping turns a beautiful golden brown. Place on a wire rack to cool completely before removing the sides of the springform pan.
- This cake can be covered and stored at room temperature for about two to three days.