This vanilla sponge cake recipe is the best moist vanilla sponge cake you will ever bake. This is a classic, simple Vanilla Sponge Cake that is made with basic ingredients – eggs, milk, butter, flour, sugar, vanilla, baking powder, and salt.
One thing about baking this cake is the sugar and if you can get yourself some caster sugar or superfine sugar, this really going to do well in this cake. If you can find that then just take the granulated sugar, stick it in your food processor and et it finely ground.
Pour your sugar into a bowl, add butter and starts to cream them both with a spatula. Measure your cake flour then pour it to the sugar and butter mixture, beat two eggs in a separate bowl, add milk and make sure it had incorporates well with them as then pour the mixture to the flour.
Combine the mixture until the batter starts to form really well, add vanilla and continue to mix it until it is done. This light and moist vanilla cake is delicious left just as is and shared with family and friends for dessert. But this recipe can also be turned into a beloved birthday cake or even a treasured wedding cake.
This vanilla cake recipe has your standard ingredients: sugar, flour, baking powder, and salt. You can’t really have a cake without those. A lot of recipes use similar amounts of dry ingredients. However, where most cake recipes vary is in the number of fats, eggs, and any other wet ingredients.
For this cake, the wet ingredients are vegetable oil, eggs, vanilla extract, and milk. Plus my secret weapon, light sour cream. The sour cream is the ultimate tool for keeping this vanilla cake moist, even after 3 or 4 days.
- 250g all-purpose flour
- 180g to 200g caster sugar
- 250g butter plus more for greasing pan
- 1/2tsp vanilla extract
- 2tbsp full-fat milk or cream
- 1/2 tsp salted caramel extract, optional
- 1/2tsp baking powder, optional
- 4 medium eggs
- Preheat the oven at 180⁰C, you want to use the center of the oven, so that the heat is distributed almost evenly
- Butter the pans, dust with flour to cover the whole buttered pan or place a baking sheet at the bottom of the pan
- Sift the flour and baking powder in one bowl and set aside
- In another bowl, add the butter and sugar and whisk using hand-held mixer until light and fluffy. This should be for about 5 minutes
- Break the eggs into a small bowl and add the vanilla and caramel extract, drop the yolk one at a time with some egg white into the creamed butter and mix to combine. Add the milk and mix to combine
- Once combined, add the sifted flour and baking powder and gently fold into the wet ingredients until well combined and smooth.
- Divide the cake batter into the cake pan evenly and bake in the oven for 20 minutes or when the toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Leave to cool and turn unto a cooling rack. serve the cake with ice cream, whipped cream