This is a real deal full-on moist totally fudgy chocolatey cake. You can also make it as a birthday cake. Start by greasing two 9-inch baking round pan with butter then line with a parchment paper. To make the cake, combine all-purpose flour and unsweetened cocoa powder in a bowl then add one teaspoon of baking powder and baking soda. Add in salt, two cups of light brown sugar then whish the ingredients together until well incorporated.
Make a crater at the center then add in two whole eggs, one cup of buttermilk, buttermilk is responsible for the most in this cake. After you have thoroughly incorporated the fist set of ingredients, you will add one cup of strong black coffee, you won’t be able to taste the coffee in the cake bit the coffee will bring out the flavor in the chocolate. You will also add one cup of vegetable oil and just whisk it together.
If you don’t have a cup of coffee you can add a cup of hot water and two teaspoons of instant espresso powder or you can omit it if you don’t want the coffee. Pour the mixture and distribute it evenly among the two pans then pop it in the oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted at the center come out clean. Set the cake aside to cool completely once baked.
For the frosting, combine melted unsalted butter with unsweetened cocoa powder and whisk until smooth then add in powdered sugar and alternative the powdered sugar with one-third of a cup of milk. Keep beating until you get a nice smooth consistency then add in vanilla extract and a pinch of salt and whisk until well incorporated and you have achieved your desired consistency.
To assemble the cake, invert the cake on a cake board and pop about a third of the frosting on the cake layer and spread wit with a knife or spatula then place the second layer of the cake and frost the top of the cake starting from the center as you push the frosting towards the edge of the cake which makes it a lot easier when you are actually going to go in and do the sides. Cut yourself a slice and enjoy it.
For the cake;
- 2 cups (400 g) light brown sugar
- 1 3/4 cups (220 g) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup (85 g) dark, unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup (240 mL) buttermilk or sour milk
- 1 cup (240 mL) strong black coffee (1 cup water + 2 tsp instant espresso powder)
- 1/2 cup (120 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the frosting;
- 1/2 cup (110 g) unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup (60 g) dark, unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) milk
- 3 cups (375 g) powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 F or 180 C. Butter 2 9-inch circular baking pans (or a 9×13 inch pan) line the bottom with parchment paper and dust with flour.
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, soda, and salt- whisk until incorporated.
- Make a well in the center of the mixture and add in the eggs, buttermilk. Whisk to combine.
- Add the coffee, oil, and vanilla and continue mixing until everything is well incorporated.
- Divide the batter between the two pans and bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out almost clean or with a few moist crumbs.
- Cool the cakes completely before frosting.
To make the frosting;
- Melt the butter.
- Add the cocoa powder and whisk until smooth.
- Gradually add in the powdered sugar, alternating with the milk and continue beating until light and fluffy.
- Stir in the vanilla and salt.