An exceptional, yet simple moist sponge cake made with pantry staples, has a velvety, tender crumb and keeps well for 3 days. There are many mixing methods for making cakes. Each technique is based on specific ingredients using different mixing methods and results in a different final product: from light as air cake to one that’s sturdy enough to hold up in wedding tiers.
Two standards methods are the creaming method and the reverse creaming method. Both of these methods tend to produce a more dense cake with a tight crumb and a sturdy texture. Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl starting with cake flour with baking soda and salt.
Mix those together then set aside. For the wet ingredienst, have some softened butter in a bowl then add sugar and beat that until it’s all nice and fluffy. Once you have that mixed up, add in eggs one at a time mixing that well until it is incorporated. When you mix the eggs this way, it helps them to incorporate with the batter well.
Add vanilla extract and whisk that but make sure you do not overmix the batter. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and begin to fold them. Add buttermilk in between the flour. The buttermilk will make the cake extra rich and moist.
You are going to bake this cake in a nonstick sprayed and dusted with flour. Pour your batter in the pans and you are going to bake them in a 350 degrees oven for 30 to 35 minutes.
Once baked, you are going to slice the top of the cake to make it leveled then spread buttercream over each slice while piling them onto each other. Pipe the rest of the cake with the buttercream then slice it up.
- 225 g / 2 sticks unsalted butter, cut into 8 pieces and softened
- 4 large eggs at room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup / 125 ml milk (whole or low fat, not no fat), room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups / 265g plain flour (all purpose flour, 7 oz) (Note 1)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups / 330g caster sugar / superfine sugar
- 3/4 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F or 160C/320F. Put the rack in the middle of the oven.
- Butter your cake pans then line the base with baking paper.
- Place Wet ingredients in a bowl and whisk to combine.
- Place Dry ingredients in a bowl and use a handheld beater on speed 1 to quickly whisk.
- Add 1/3 of the butter, then put the beater whisk in the butter, and mix using speed 1.
- Once the butter is incorporated a bit, speed up to 5 and whisk for 10 seconds.
- Add another 1/3 of the butter then repeat, then add remaining butter and repeat again. It should look like wet sand.
- Add half the wet mixture, beat until incorporated. Add remaining wet mixture, then beat on medium speed until almost completely smooth.
- Divide between cake pans, smooth surface, then bake for 25 minutes.
- A skewer inserted into the middle should come out clean but moist.
- Cool on a cooling rack for at least 15 minutes then remove the cake from pan.