This chocolate cupcake is completely from scratch and full of chocolate flavor. The cupcakes are so moist, it melts in your mouth when you eat them and the frosting is made with melted fudge for a silky smooth, chocolatey frosting which makes the cake super moist.
The final ingredients in the frosting are the powdered sugar and some heavy cream. The powdered sugar will thicken up the frosting a bit so that it pipes well and holds it’s shape and the cream will thin it out a bit.
- 95 g all-purpose flour
- 42 g unsweetened natural cocoa powder
- 3/4 tbsp baking soda
- 1/4 tbsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- 100 g granulated sugar
- 100 g light brown sugar
- 80 ml vegetable or canola oil
- 2 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 120 ml buttermilk, at room temperature
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (177°C). Line a 12-cup muffin pan with cupcake liners. Line a second pan with 2 liners – this recipe makes about 14 cupcakes. Set aside.
- Whisk the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a large bowl until thoroughly combined.
- Set aside. In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs, granulated sugar, brown sugar, oil, and vanilla together until completely smooth.
- Pour half of the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Then half of the buttermilk. Gently whisk for a few seconds.
- Repeat with the remaining wet ingredients and buttermilk. Stir until combined; do not overmix. The batter will be thin.
- Pour or spoon the batter into the liners. Fill only halfway (this is imperative! only halfway!) to avoid spilling over the sides or sinking.
- Bake for 18-21 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow cooling completely before frosting.
- Frost cooled cupcakes however you’d like. Top with sprinkles, if desired. Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.