I absolutely love weekend breakfast because I have the time to create something really delicious and the time to enjoy it. My favourite breakfast is tis strawberry cream pancake, they are suoer light and fluffy and loaded with lots of strawberries. In a large bowl, add one cup of buttermilk, if you dint have buttermilk you can use one cup of milk thn add a tablespoon of vinegar then let it sit for around 5 minutes. Into the buttermilk, add melted butter, an egg, white granulated sugar and a splash of vanilla.
Give it a whisk until it is well combined. For the dry ingredients, take one cup of all-purpose flour then add a quarter teaspoon of salt and two teaspoons of baking powder, toss that all together then add that to the batter. Whisk it until it is nice and smooth then add some diced strawberries. Gently fold that into the batter and you are ready to make them. Heat a large stovetop griddle and drop your batter ontop. You can make these pancakes as big or as little as you want them.
Once the pancakes are bubbling around the centre and the edges its time to flip them over, just slide your spatula underneath and flip them then let them cook for around 30 seconds on the other side. You can serve them right away when they are still hot, just sprinkle the top with some confectioner sugar.
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- butter, for greasing the griddle
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1 cup strawberries, rinsed and sliced
- First, make the pancakes. Start by heating a griddle over just below medium heat on the stove.
- While it’s heating up, make the batter. Crack the egg into the bowl of a stand mixer.
- Beat on medium-high speed until it’s lemony yellow and frothy.
- All the flour, buttermilk, granulated sugar, baking powder, salt and oil to the stand mixer. Beat until just combined.
- Lightly grease the griddle with butter. Use a ladle to drop rounds of about 1/4 cup of batter onto the griddle.
- Cook, flipping once, until golden on both sides.
- Remove from the griddle and keep warm in a pancake warmer or a 200 degree oven (on a baking sheet).
- Once the pancakes are all cooked, make the whipped cream. Add the heavy cream, powdered sugar and vanilla to the bowl of a stand mixer.
- Whip to soft peaks. Then, add the cornstarch and whip to stiff peaks.
- To assemble: Place one pancake on a plate. Top with a large dollop of whipped cream.
- Finish with strawberries on top. Serve.