Between thick layers of moist chocolate cake is a decadent creme filling that tastes just like the original. The entire cake is then draped in a rich layer of shiny chocolate ganache.
Start by baking up two 9-inch chocolate cakes. If you choose to go with a boxed mix, make sure it’s a rich and fudgy version, like a Devil’s Food cake. You will then make the cream filling. It’s a less sweet buttercream frosting, sometimes called Ermine frosting. You’ll first put your cold milk and flour in a small saucepan and whisk until the lumps are gone. Heat this up until thick, stirring the whole time. You want to keep stirring and heating until it becomes thick, almost like pudding. Once your milk mixture is thick, remove from heat and stir in the vanilla. Let it cool since you don’t want this warm and melting your butter in the next step.
In a mixing bowl, cream your butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes. Slowly add in the cooled milk mixture, beating until it resembles a thick whipped cream or frosting. Spread this thick layer of cream filling between your two cooled chocolate cake layers. Whip up some chocolate ganache and pour it over the top and sides. Allow it sit, and enjoy.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened dark chocolate cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup strong brewed coffee, cooled
- 1/2 cup milk
For the cream filling;
- 5 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
For the ganache;
- 1 bag (12 oz) semi-sweet chocolate morsels
- 1 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- Spray two 9-inch cake pans with baking spray. Set aside. Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, cocoa, salt, baking soda and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a measuring cup, combine cooled coffee with milk.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar for 5 minutes with an electric mixer. Beat in eggs, one at a time.
- Slowly add in dry ingredients and alternate with the coffee/milk mixture.
- Once all the ingredients are added, beat cake mixture for about 2-3 minutes until fluffy.
- Divide cake batter into the two cake pans. Bake in the oven for 25 minutes.
- Remove and allow to cool about 10 minutes in pan. Invert on a wire rack and cool completely.
For the cream filling;
- In a small saucepan, combine the flour with milk, whisking until lumps removed.
- Turn on medium heat and continue to whisk until mixture becomes thick, like a pudding.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Cool completely.
- In a mixing bowl, combine butter and sugar, beat until light and fluffy (about 4 minutes).
- Slowly add in the cooled milk mixture, beating until combined.
- It may curdle slightly in the beginning, that’s okay, keep beating until it becomes the texture of whipped cream.