This quick dinner rolls recipe will help you make super soft and fluffy dinner rolls in less than two hours. They have a rich buttery smell and flavour with a very simple recipe. Add milk to a large mixing bowl, sugar and a teaspoon of yeast. Add in one egg and softened butter, make sure all your ingredients are at room temperature. Use a spatula or wooden spoon to mix everything together.
For the dry ingredients, you can use cake flour or all-purpose flour, combine everything together until they are well mixed then move the dough to a floured work surface and start to knead it by hand. The dough will be a little sticky at the beginning but as you continue to knead it, the texture will start to change.
Knead the dough until you get a soft and elastic texture that springs back when you press on with your fingers and it is no longer sticky. You can also check the doneness of your dough with the windowpane test that is to pull a small portion of the dough and stretch it with your hands and it should stretch to form a very thin sheet without tearing. To divide and shape the dough, roll the dough into a log shape then divide the dough into equal pieces.
To roll the dough flatten each of the dough pieces and then tuck in the edges towards the centre and then roll it into the shape of a round ball then place them into a baking dish lined with a parchment paper. Once you are done, cover the tray with a plastic film then let the dough sit and rise in a warm environment for about 60 minutes.
Brush the top of the rolls with egg wash then bake at 375 degrees Fahrenheit preheated oven for 18 to 20 minutes or until they are golden brown on top. Once done, take the tray out of the oven and let them cool before serving. These will be one of the best dinner rolls you will ever have.
- 325 g Flour(Bread Flour/All purpose flour) 2 1/2 cups(loosely packed
- 50 g Butter 3 1/2 tbsp
- 1 Egg
- 150 ml Milk 1/2 cup+2 tbsp
- 1 1/4 tsp Salt
- 30 g Sugar 2 1/2 tbsp
- 1 tsp Yeast(instant yeast/active dried yeast)
- Add all of the ingredients(milk, sugar, yeast, egg butter, salt and flour) into a bowl and mix them together to form a shaggy mass of dough.
- Knead the dough until it is very soft and elastic. A well-kneaded dough will be able to form a thin membrane when pulled and stretched with hands without tearing.
- Divide the dough into equal pieces and roll them into the shape of a round ball.
- Cover it with a plastic film and let them sit and rise in a warm environment for 1 hour.
- After 1 hour the dough balls will be doubled in size.
- Optionally, you can give an egg wash which will give that shine and golden brown colour to the rolls.
- Bake at 375F preheated oven for 18-20 minutes.
- Place the baking tray in the lowest rack so that the tops won’t get browned too fast.