Crockpot beef brisket is great as a side dish with mashed potatoes or served as beef brisket sandwiches. Beef brisket is fall-apart tender, so juicy and flavorful and you won’t believe how simple it is.
There is no cut of beef with the same cooking qualities as a brisket, for this recipe, the best substitute for beef brisket is rolled chuck, There is no need to marinate the brisket because we’re slow cooking it and the long cook time essentially has the same effect as marinating. You will get started with your homemade barbeque rub, add the spices in a bowl then drizzle some olive oil and some apple cider vinegar.
Once everything is in there, mix until it resembles a wet paste and your rub will be ready. Take your brisket and coat it with the rub and get all sides and surface covered with the rub. Once you are done, spray your slow cooker with a nonstick spray then place your brisket in the slow cooker pot with the fat side facing up.
Cover your slow cooker and let it cook on low for 12 hours. You can always let it cook overnight. Once it is done, remove the brisket and place it on an aluminium foil then place it in teh oven set on broil and let it cook until nice, crisp and golden brown.
You can also place it in teh oven for just 5 minutes if you dint want it to be crunchy. Before cutting your brisket, cover it and let it est for quite some time and then you will grab your knife and fork and then slice your brisket.
- 1.5 – 2 kg / 3 – 4 lb beef brisket
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp paprika powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- 3/4 tsp mustard powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup / 125 ml apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups / 375 ml ketchup
- 1/2 cup / 110g brown sugar, packed
- 2 tsp black pepper, onion powder, mustard powder
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- Mix Rub ingredients. Rub all over brisket. If time permits, leave for 30 minutes – 24 hours in the fridge, but I rarely do this.
- Combine BBQ Sauce ingredients in a slow cooker. Mix then add the brisket.
- Slow cook in slow cooker for 8 hours (1.5 kg / 3 lb) to 10 hours (2 kg / 4 lb).
- Remove brisket onto a tray.
- Pour the liquid in slow cooker into a saucepan. Bring to simmer over medium-high heat and reduce until it thickens to a syrup consistency.
- Meanwhile, drizzle brisket with oil then roasts in a 200C/390F oven for 15 minutes until brown spots appear.
- Remove then baste generously with sauce, then return to oven for 5 minutes. Remove and baste again, then return to oven for 5 – 10 minutes until it caramelises.
- Slice brisket thinly across the grain and serve with remaining BBQ Sauce.
- This is served as a meal with sides or piled high onto rolls with Coleslaw as sliders.