This is the ultimate cinnamon cake, it’s bursting with so much cinnamon flavour and you can frost the cake with a cinnamon cream cheese. It is absolutely amazing. Get your oven preheated to 350 degrees Fahrenheit then in a large mixing bowl, add in one cup of buttermilk, the buttermilk will make this cake so moist and fluffy.
Into the buttermilk, add a three-quarters cup of oil, eggs, white sugar, brown sugar and vanilla extract then mix all together for a few minutes until the eggs are well beaten. In a separate bowl, prepare the dry ingredients by adding all-purpose flour into a bowl together with baking soda, baking powder, nutmeg, salt and ground cinnamon the toss that together.
Sift the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and mix everything for about a minute or until everything is incorporated. For baking, you can bake in any type of pan and if you want to frost this cake then you will make it into three 8 inch round cake pans. Divide the batter evenly between the three pans and level out the batter so you have nice and even layers.
Bake in the 350 degrees Fahrenheit oven for 25 to 30 minutes until they are golden brown on top. Once out of the oven, let the cakes cool down before frosting them. If you are not making this cake with the frosting, you can make it in a bundt or tube pan then serve it warm. This cake is amazing with the combination of flavours and textures that makes it so phenomenal. Enjoy.
For Cinnamon Cake:
- 1 cup (240 ml) whole-fat buttermilk
- ¾ cup (180 ml) cooking oil
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup (100 g) EACH: white granulated sugar, brown sugar
- 2 cups (250 g) all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp EACH: baking powder, baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
For Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 2 cups (453 g) unsalted butter, softened at room temp
- 16 oz (453 g) cream cheese, softened at room temp
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups (375 g) confectioner’s sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350F/177C and line three, 8-inch (20-cm) cake pans with parchment paper; spray the sides with a baking spray.
- Prepare the cake batter. In a large mixing bowl, combine the buttermilk, oil, eggs, vanilla and sugars. Beat on medium speed for 2 to 3 minutes, until the eggs are well beaten and the mixture is smooth. In a separate mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients: flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg. Sift the dry ingredients into the batter and mix on medium speed for 1 minute, just until incorporated.
- Divide the cake batter evenly between the three prepared pans and level the batter with a spoon or spatula. Bake in the preheated oven at 350F/177C for 25 to 27 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Cool the cake layers in the pans for 5 minutes, then transfer onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Next, prepare the cream cheese frosting. Place the softened butter into a large mixing bowl and whisk on high speed for 5 minutes, until the butter is light and fluffy.
- Add the softened cream cheese and continue whisking for another 3 to 4 minutes, scraping down the sides of the mixing bowl often, until smooth and creamy.
- Add the vanilla, salt, cinnamon and confectioner’s sugar. Mix again for 2 to 3 minutes on medium-high speed until the frosting is fluffy.
- If the frosting is too soft, refrigerate until thickened.
- To assemble the cake, first, make sure the layers are completely cooled. Next, use a serrated knife to level off the tops of each layer.
- Gently spread the frosting over the case layers with an off-set spatula.
- Repeat the same process for the next cake layer then top with the last cake layer, then apply a crumb coat of frosting onto the cake.
- Allow the cake to chill in the refrigerator for 15 to 30 minutes before applying the final layer of frosting.
- Sprinkle the top of the cake with ground cinnamon and serve. For best results, refrigerate the cake for 1 hour prior to serving. Enjoy.