This really yummy chocolate mud cake is easy to make and delicious. Get a glass heatproof bowl over a little bit of simmering water and start melting your butter, chocolate, sugar and coffee. Let it all melt in together, that should take around 5 minutes. To the bowl, add-in milk which will decrease the temparature of teh mixture then use a hand mixer to mix it in then add in eggs one at a time. Also add in vegetable oil then start sifting all-purpose flour, baking powder, salt baking soda and cocoa powder.
Take your mixer and mix then nicely and have your oven set to 300 degrees Fahrenheit. In an 8-inch baking tin lined with parchment paper, pour in the batter then pop it in the preheated oven for about 2 hours. Once baked, let it cool down completely then remove from the tin. At this point, you could just pour your beautiful ganache over it. Place the cake on a tray lined with parchment paper then start pouring the ganache over the cake.
- 230 grams (1 cup / 2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 200 grams (1 and 1/3 cup) good quality dark chocolate
- 300 grams (2 cups) caster sugar
- 45 grams (1/4 cup) brown sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 40 grams (1/2 cup) cocoa powder
- 210 grams (1 and 1/2 cups) plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 120 ml (1/2 cup) milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Milk chocolate frosting;
- 115 grams (1/2 cup / 1 stick) unsalted butter
- 250 grams (2 cups) icing or powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 100 grams (2/3 cup) milk chocolate
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Preheat the oven to 150 C (300 F). Grease and line a 9 inch round springform cake tin with baking or parchment paper.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, add butter and dark chocolate.
- Melt in the microwave, stirring every 30 seconds, until smooth. Leave to cool slightly – just a minute or two.
- Add sugars to chocolate mixture and stir. Add eggs. Mix to combine.
- Add cocoa powder, flour and baking soda and mix gently. Add milk and vanilla.
- Stir until chocolate batter is combined and smooth. It will be quite thick – this is ok.
- Pour cake batter into prepared cake tin.
- Bake for approximately 50-60 minutes or until cake no longer wobbles in the middle.
- Try not to over bake as you want the cake to be moist in the middle.
- Leave to cool completely in the cake tin.
- To make the frosting, place butter in a large mixing bowl and beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until pale and creamy.
- Meanwhile melt the chocolate in a microwave, stirring in between 20 second bursts, until just melted and set aside.
- Add half the sugar, cocoa powder and one tablespoon of milk and beat until combined.
- Add the remaining sugar and beat until smooth.
- Add melted chocolate, ensuring the chocolate is still smooth and melted but is not warm.
- Beat until the chocolate is completely mixed through. If frosting is too thick, add an extra tablespoon of milk.
- Generously frost the top of the cake using a spatula.