If you love chocolate cake then this is is the epitome of all chocolate cakes you will ever bake. The cake is made with real chocolate then more chocolate chunks are added to the cake batter to satisfy your chocolate cravings in a special way. You will need 100 grams of a chocolate bar, chop it into tiny pieces then place them in a mixing bowl and to that add 50 grams of butter and 100 ml of heavy cream then place the bowl on another bowl with hot water.
This is called double boiler and this will help the butter and chocolate to melt evenly without burning the chocolate. You can also use a microwave to melt the butter and chocolate but you will have to stir it at an interval of 15 seconds until they are melted. Once you have placed the bowl over hot water, stir everything in until the butter, chocolate and heavy cream are melted and you have a smooth chocolate mixture, remove it from the double boiler and set it aside.
Separate 3 egg yolks from the whites then in the bowl with the yolks, add 50 grams of sugar and whisk it in until the sugar is dissolved in the egg yolk. Pour the chcolate mixture in the egg yolk mixture and whisk it in until combined. Sift in 20 grams of dutch processed cocoa powder, corn starch and black cocoa powder then whisk those dry ingredients in until you have a smooth chocolate batter with no lumps.
Bring the egg whites that you had set aside and start whipping them on high speed until foamy then add 50 grams of sugar in three additions while whipping the whites well after each addition. Beat until the egg whites reach a soft peak. Add the egg whites in small additions to the chocolate cake batter and fold them in until all the meringue is mixed in the chocolate batter and you have a dark smooth chocolate cake batter.
For baking, you will need a 21cm loaf cake pan that is greased and lined with a parchment paper. Pour the batter in the prepared cake pan then top with large chunks of the chocolate bar and bake the cake in a 340 degrees Fahrenheit oven (170C) for 25 to 30 minutes. Once cooled, let the cake cool down on a wire rack before slicing it. Serve this cake with a glass of milk and enjoy it to the last bite.
- 3 Egg yolks
- 50g(1.8Oz) Sugar
- 50g (1.8Oz) Butter
- 100g (3.5Oz) Heavy cream
- 100g (3.5Oz) Chocolate chopped into small pieces
- 15g Cornstarch
- 20g Cocoa powder
- 5g Black cocoa powder
- 100g (3.5Oz) Chocolate chopped in large chunks then topped in the cake batter before baking
- 3 Egg whites
- 50g Sugar
- Confectioners’ sugar
- Place butter, heavy cream and chocolate on a hot water bath to get those melted.
- Divide eggs into yolks and whites then add sugar to the egg yolk and mix well.
- Add the melted chocolate mixture to the egg yolk mix and combine.
- Sift cornstarch, cocoa powder and black cocoa powder to the chocolate batter and mix well.
- Whip egg white and add sugar to it then whisk until soft peaks form then add the meringue to the cake batter in additions and mix until you get a smooth cake batter.
- Bake for 25-30 mins in 170℃ / 338F preheated oven.