This is a deliciously moist and chocolatey cake. Many people don’t have an oven but that does not mean that you can have your delicious chocolate cake. This one-bowl chocolate recipe requires no creaming and comes together in just 5 minutes. A perfect cake for those who are starting to bake. In a mixing bowl, sift together flour cocoa powder and baking powder then give the ingredients a good mix.
Add the oil and hot water, the hot water will bloom the cocoa powder and intensifies its delicious chocolate flavor. Mix that well and you can use a hand whisk to ensure the mixing is well done and there are no lumps left, your batter will be runny and smooth and that is perfect. For the cake tin, you can use anything that you can pop in the microwave, a microwave-safe bowl, an oven dish, or a deep dish as long as it can go into the microwave you can use that as your mold.
You will line the bottom with parchment paper then grease and flour the sides as well. The coking time will depend not only on your microwave but also on the mold that you decide to use, the size, and its material. If you are using a 9inch mold bake the cake in the microwave for about 5 minutes and start keeping an eye on the cake after the third minute.
You will know it’s ready when the top is springy and when you insert a toothpick at the center of the cake it will come out clean. Allow the cake to cool in the mold for about 5 minutes then use a spatula to release the sides of the cake from the mold then turn it over on top of a rack or cutting board.
You can use whatever frosting you want on this cake, frost from the top to the sides of the cake then let it chill for at least five minutes before slicing. This cake will be moist and you will be amazed at how good of a result you can get by making a cake in the microwave.
Ingredients when using 9 or 10-inch cake tin.
- 220 grams/ 7.7Oz All Purpose Flour ( 1 1/2 cups )
- 85 grams/ 3Oz Unsweetened Cocoa Powder ( 2/3 cup)
- 150 grams/5.3Oz Sugar ( 3/4 cup)
- 3 tsp Baking Powder
- 130ml Oil (1/2 cup + 1 tbsp) (Used Oil or melted butter )
- 550ml Warm Water (1 3/4 + 2 tbsp )
- Remember cooking time will vary depending on the microwave and the size/material of your bowl/container.
- For a 9 or 10-inch container check the cake after 5 min, if the cake isn’t ready leave it a bit longer making sure to keep an eye on it.
- If you’re using a smaller container ( 7 – 8 inches) cut the recipe in half and check the cake after 3 min.
- Use a microwave-safe bowl and do not refrigerate this cake.
Chocolate Frosting Recipe in grams and cups:
- 400 grams/ 14OZ Powdered Sugar (3 1/4 cups)
- 80 grams/ 2.8OZ unsweetened Cocoa Powder (2/3 cups)
- 150 grams/ 5.3Oz Softened Butter ( 1 1/3 sticks)
- 100 ml Boiling Water (1/3 cups + 1 1/2 tbsp)
- 60 grams/ 2.1Oz Melted Dark Chocolate 75% cocoa ( 2 ounces)
- 1/2 tsp Salt