A super delicious eggless yellow cake made with both butter and oil which makes this cake stay soft for long and stiff full of butter flavor. This is a simple cake that does not need any decoration, serve it plain with a cup of milk. To start, add caster sugar in a saucepan together with a cup of milk then bring the milk mixture to a boil over medium heat while stirring the mixture.
Once it starts to boil, remove it from the heat and add cornstarch then whisk it well to combine. Add vegetable oil and melted butter then whisk to incorporate them in. Add a tablespoon of vanilla extract for flavoring and whisk it well then set it aside. In a mixing bowl, sift in all-purpose flour, baking powder and baking soda, whisk the dry ingredients well so the other ingredients are well distributed in the flour then pour in the milk mixture into the flour mixture slowly while stirring it with a hand whisk.
Whisk just until the flour is moistened and there are no lumps, do not overmix the batter. Lightly grease a 6-inch square loaf pan or a 7-inch round cake tin then line the bottom with a parchment paper. Pour the batter in the prepare cake pan and tap it a few times to release any trapped air bubbles
Bake the cake in a 325 degrees Fahrenheit oven(160C) for 40 to 45 minutes. Invert the cake on a wire rack and let them cool down before slicing and serving. You can double or triple the batch of this recipe but the baking time will still remain the same. Happy baking.
- 250ml (1 cup) milk
- 170g/ 6Oz (3/4 cup) castor sugar
- 50g/ 1.7Oz (1/2 cup) corn starch
- 56g/ 1.9Oz (1/4 cup) vegetable oil
- 56g/ 1.9Oz (1/4 cup) butter (slightly melted)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 188g/ 6.6Oz (1 1/2 cup) all-purpose Flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- Preheat oven at 160°C/325°F.
- In a pan, add milk and sugar. Bring the milk to a boil just until it melts the sugar then remove from the heat.
- Add in the corn starch in the milk mixture, and whisk until there are no lumps. Add butter and oil and whisk well. Add the vanilla essence.
- In a separate mixing bowl, sift the flour, baking powder and baking soda then slowly add the milk mixture into the dry ingredients and mix until there are no lumps. Do not over mix.
- Grease a baking pan, and line a parchment paper then pour the batter into the prepared pan and tap the pan on the counter couple of times to release any bubbles trapped in the batter.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 160°C/325°F for about 40-45 min or until a tester comes out clean.