This cake is baked in a bundt cake pan and finished with a simple lemon glaze. Top the cake off with some shredded lemon zest. Start by zesting and juicing your lemons and the best tool for zesting is a rasp grater but any fine grater will do. Combine the flour, salt, and baking soda in a mixing bowl and whisk then set aside. In a separate bowl or measuring cup, combine the buttermilk, lemon juice and lemon zest.
Set aside then in the bowl of an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat your eggs in one at a time and continue beating after each addition. With the mixer on low speed, gradually alternate adding the flour mixture and buttermilk mixture to the batter.
It’s important to add these ingredients gradually because the butter base of the cake does not absorb a lot of liquid easily. If you rush it, the batter may separate, which will cause your cake to be heavy.
Transfer the cake batter to the prepared bundt pan and smooth with a rubber spatula then grease it with vegetable shortening and then dust with sugar. Bake the cake for 50 to 60 minutes, until golden brown and a cake tester come out clean.
Let the cake cool in the pan for about ten minutes. Meanwhile, make the syrup. Combine the water and sugar in a small saucepan and bring to a boil, then stir in the lemon juice. Leave the cake to cool completely, about one hour, before glazing. To make the glaze, combine the confectioners’ sugar and lemon juice in a small bowl. Stir until well combined.
Add more confectioners’ sugar or lemon juice if necessary to make a thick but pourable glaze. Once the cake is cool, drizzle the syrup over top, letting it drip down the sides. Let the glaze set, then serve.
- 1 cup butter (softened)
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup lemon juice (plus 2 tablespoons for the glaze)
- 5 large eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Heat the oven to 350 F/177 C/Gas 4. Grease and flour a 12-cup Bundt cake pan.
- In a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer, cream the butter and granulated sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the 1/3 cup lemon juice until well blended. Beat in eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- In another bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Add the flour mixture to the first mixture, a little at a time, alternating with the milk.
- Pour the batter into the prepared Bundt cake pan.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, or until cake springs back when touched with a finger. The cake will pull away from sides of the pan slightly.
- Cool for 5 minutes in the pan; invert and cool completely on a rack.
Prepare the Glaze;
- In a saucepan over medium-low heat blend confectioners’ sugar with 2 tablespoons lemon juice and the vanilla. Cook, stirring, until hot and smooth; cool slightly.
- Drizzle over the cooled cake.