This cake combined butter and hot milk and the result is a tender cake that is going to be your favourite. In a saucepan, add unsalted butter, to that, add whole milk and place the saucepan over medium-high heat and bring that to a simmer. In a separate bowl, add in three eggs and whip the eggs until it starts to get foamy then add vanilla extract for flavouring, mix in the vanilla then start adding a three-quarters cup of sugar little by a little while mixing it in on medium-low speed.
Keep mixing until you get a pale and thick mixture. Sift in all-purpose flour in a separate bowl together with baking powder and salt then whisk it to make sure the baking powder and salt are well dispersed in the flour. Add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture in three addition and gently fold it in until all the flour is moistened.
Bring the milk and butter mix which should be simmering then introduce it to the prepared batter in two addition and fold it in well. Your batter should be smooth with no lumps, pour the batter into a greased and parchment-lined cake pan and tap it pon the counter three times to remove any trapped air in the batter.
Bake in 345 degrees Fahrenheit preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Let the cake cool down slightly before removing it from the pan and place it on a wire rack to cool completely. Dust with powdered sugar and serve.
- 120 g (1/2 cup) whole milk
- 60 g (1/4 cup) unsalted butter
- 160 g (1+1/3 cup) all-purpose flour
- 4 g (1 tsp) baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 160 g (3/4 cup) caster sugar or granulated white sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla paste or vanilla extract
- In a small saucepan place butter, milk and bring to a simmer over low heat, meanwhile sift together flour, baking powder, salt and set aside.
- In a large bowl mix the eggs with vanilla using an electric mixer at medium-high speed.
- When the eggs start foaming, add little by little sugar and keep on mixing at high speed until get a thick and pale mix.
- Gently fold the flour mix into the egg mix in three times using a spatula (don’t use the electric mixer now, you don’t have to overbeat the flour) until well combined.
- Add and combine in two times the hot milk mix: be careful to add the milk when still very hot.
- Pour the cake batter into a lined and greased 20 cm – 8-inch cake pan.
- Tap the cake pan onto the work surface and pass a skewer through the batter in the pan to remove air bubbles.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 175°C-345°F for about 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Slightly cool down, then pass a thin spatula through the edges of the cake, unmold the cake and cool down completely on a wire rack.
- You can sprinkle with powdered sugar on top and top with some fresh strawberries.
- Store the cake at room temperature covered with plastic wrap for about 3-4 days.
- You can use this cake to make layered cakes and frost with buttercream.