These lemon sugar baked doughnuts are delicious and the lemon kick in the donuts brings out all the deliciousness when combined with the sugar. In a large mixing bowl, add a three-quarters cup of flour together with cornstarch and whisk those together then add a teaspoon of salt, baking powder and sugar then whisk again to combine the dry ingredients. Into the dry ingredients, add buttermilk together with two eggs, lemon juice, melted butter, vanilla extract for flavouring and two teaspoons of lemon zest.
Whisk to combine the ingredients until the batter is smooth and fully combined making sure you do not overmix the batter. Mix just until you can see all the flour is moistened and there are no lumps in the batter. You will need two donuts pans, this recipe will make about 12 doughnuts, spray the pan with a no-stick spray then divide the batter into the prepared donut pans and make sure you do not overfill them.
Bake them in 425 degrees Fahrenheit preheated oven for 7 to 10 minutes or until the edges of the donuts begin to turn golden brown and the top of the donuts spring back when lightly touched. Once the donuts are done and out of the oven, allow them to cool in the pans for about 5 minutes before placing them on a cooling rack. You will then need two bowls, one with 6 tablespoons of melted butter and the other with half a cup of sugar and add in 4 teaspoons of lemon zest, give that a quick mix.
Grab one donuts and dip one side of the donuts in the melted butter then press into the sugar zest mixture. Continue this step for the other donuts and serve. These are a perfect treat for any days, they are so light, citrusy and when coated with the lemon zest and sugar, they are so good.
- 1 3/4 cups (220 grams) All-purpose Flour
- 1/4 cup (30 grams) Cornstarch
- 3/4 cup (150 ml) Honey
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla extract
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tbsp Freshly-squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tsp Grated Lemon zest
For the Coating:
- 1/2 cup (115 grams) Sugar
- 4 tsp grated lemon zest
- 6 tbsp (85 grams) Butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray two 6-cavity donut pans with nonstick spray and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour and cornstarch. Whisk in sugar, baking powder, and salt until well combined.
- Whisk in the buttermilk, eggs, lemon juice, butter, vanilla, and lemon zest until batter is smooth and combined, but do not over-mix. Evenly divide the batter between the prepared donut pans.
- Bake for 7-10 minutes until the edges of the donuts begin to turn a light golden brown and the tops of the donuts spring back when lightly touched. Allow donuts to cool for about 5 minutes in pans before placing on a cooling rack.
- For the coating, In a bowl have the melted butter and in other bowl whisk together the sugar and lemon zest.
- Dip one side of each donut into the butter, and then press into the sugar/zest mixture.