This golden yellow cake is an outstanding cake that you can serve your family or visitors. It is very delicious, soft and easy to bake. Start by adding one cup of milk in a saucepan then heat the milk just until it is hot then add in sugar and stir until it is dissolved. Turn off the heat and allow the milk to cool down abit then add in one cup of vanilla flavoured custard powder and mix it well then add a teaspoon of vanilla extract for flavouring and lightly whisk it in.
Add half a cup of softened butter then stir it in until the butter is melted in the custard mixture. For the dry ingredients, add all-purpose flour into a mixing bowl together with baking powder, baking soda and mix them together with a whisk then make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and pour the wet ingredients in the mix everything together with a whisk until there are no lumps.
For baking you will need a 7-inch cake tin that is greased and lightly floured, pour the cake batter in the pan and bake the cake in a 325 degrees Fahrenheit oven(160C) for 55 to 60 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
Place the cake on a wire rack and let it cool completely before icing it with vanilla or chocolate buttercream or serve it warm with your favourite afternoon drink. Whenever you want to make any cake in a hurry, resort to this recipe and it will never fail you. Give it a try and enjoy.
- 1 cup (250 ml)milk
- 3/4 cup (170 gm) granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups (210 gm)plain flour
- (1/2 cup (65 gm)vanilla custard powder or cornstarch
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup (100 gm) butter
- Prepare a 7 inch round cake tin by greasing it well with oil or butter and lightly dusting it with plain flour. Tap to remove excess flour from the surface of the pan. Alternatively, grease the pan and line the base with greaseproof paper.
- In a saucepan, heat the milk. Stir in the sugar and after it melts completely set it aside to cool to room temperature. After the milk reaches room temperature, add the custard powder and vanilla extract and mix well with a whisk. Add in the butter and mix again.
- Heat the oven to 160 degrees centigrade/325 F.
- In a large mixing bowl, assemble the flour, baking powder, baking soda and mix with a whisk. Pour in the prepared milk mixture and mix well with a whisk until there are no lumps. Alternatively use an electric hand mixer/beater.
- Put the batter into the prepared pan/tin and bake for 55 minutes to 60 minutes, until a skewer comes out clean.
- Let the cake could own completely before icing with vanilla icing or any buttercream of your choice. Enjoy
- If using cornstarch instead of custard powder add a pinch of yellow colour and additional vanilla extract.