Lemon meringue pie has a tender-crisp crust, tangy-rich filling, and light-as-air meringue. In this perfect Lemon Meringue Pie, a tart lemon filling is piled high with fluffy meringue for a dessert that is impossible to resist. This is the perfect recipe and you will ever need – It is easy to make and so good.
Meringue Topping: Spread prepared Meringue Topping over hot pie filling, being careful to spread the meringue to the edges of the pie pastry to prevent shrinkage during baking.
Baking: Bake approximately 20 minutes or until meringue is golden brown. If meringue starts to brown too quickly, covering top loosely with foil after the first 5 minutes. Remove from oven and cool completely, approximately 3 hours, on a wire rack before cutting and serving. To cut baked meringue into serving pieces, use a knife dipped in cold water.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons cold Land O Lakes® Butter
- 2 to 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 4 large Eggs (yolks only), beaten
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons Butter
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 4 large Eggs (whites only)
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Heat oven to 475°F.
- Combine flour and salt in a bowl; cut in 6 tablespoons butter with pastry blender or fork until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in enough cold water with fork just until flour is moistened.
- Roll out a ball of dough on lightly floured surface into 12-inch circle. Fold into quarters. Place dough into 9-inch pie pan; unfold, pressing firmly against bottom and sides.
- Trim crust to 1/2 inch from the edge of pan; crimp or flute edge. Prick bottom and sides of crust with a fork. Bake 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool; set aside.
- Reduce oven temperature to 325°F.
- Combine sugar, cornstarch, and salt in 2-quart saucepan. Gradually stir in water. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, 7-9 minutes or until mixture comes to a full boil. Boil 1 minute.
- Gradually stir 1/2 cup sugar mixture into beaten egg yolks with whisk.
- Gradually stir egg mixture into remaining hot mixture. Continue cooking, stirring constantly, 2-3 minutes or until mixture reaches 160°F and is thickened. Whisk in lemon juice, 3 tablespoons butter and lemon zest. Remove from heat; set aside.
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar in bowl at low speed until foamy. Beat at high speed, gradually adding 1/2 cup sugar, 3-4 minutes or until stiff peaks form and mixture is glossy.
- Pour hot filling into baked pie shell. Spread meringue over hot filling, completely sealing to edge of crust and mounding slightly in center.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until meringue reaches 160°F and is lightly browned. Cool at room temperature 1-2 hours. Refrigerate at least 1 hour before serving. Store refrigerated.