This is a moist and delicious and about the easiest chocolate cake you can possibly make. Everything goes in in one bowl, there is no mixer, butter or eggs. Start by greasing a 9-inch baking pan and line with parchment paper then preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. If you have failures with baking, it is because you do not measure correctly.
Correctly measure your flour into the bowl then add sugar, powdered Dutch cocoa powder, try to use dutch process cocoa because it’s much milder and you get darker chocolate. Add baking soda and salt then mix that together so that they are well incorporated. For the wet ingredients, you will have one cup of cool water, olive oil, freshly squeezed lemon juice, and vanilla extract. Pour the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until there are no lumps.
Once you are done, pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted at the center comes out clean. Let it cool completely while making the frosting. You will need room temperature butter into a bowl then add powdered sugar, unsweetened cocoa, and vanilla extract and mix it using a hand mixer.
As it starts to mix, you will thin the mixture with a little bit of milk, you will use 1% milk and you just add a half teaspoon at a time because it really doesn’t take long to thicken up. Usually, it’s about 3 teaspoons of milk that make it just right. Once your frosting is done, take the cooled cake and start to frost, you can make double the frosting if you want or you can slice it in half and fill it with extra frosting.
If you want the frosting to be butter-free, you can leave out the butter and thin with milk and use it as a glaze with no butter. Slice your cake and see the goodness of it, dig it and enjoy it.
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup sugar, powdered
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup oil
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1/2 cup cold milk
- 1 tbsp vanilla essence
- 2 tbsp yogurt
- In a bowl sift together flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Keep aside.
- In a bowl whisk together 1/2 cup oil and 1/2 cup hot water till well blended. Let it cool down a bit.
- Once done add the milk and vanilla essence. Mix well.
- Add the yogurt. Mix well.
- Now gradually pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and whisk them together.
- Pour it in a greased tin.
- Bake it for 35-40 minutes at 160 degrees C or till the toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Smother some chocolate ganache/ sauce if you want to or you can eat it like this.