This is a super simple cookie made only with egg yolks, the process is the same as any butter cookies but the outcoem of this recipe will blow you away with teh addition of orange and lemon extract. Cut the butter into small pieces to make it easier to mix, make sure the butter is not too soft when you bake because these cookies tend to spread while they bake. Put the butter in the bowl of the stand mixer and break that butter up and then add in your granulated sugar and beat it up until it becomes incorporated and smooth.
Using a spatula scrape the sides to make sure everything is well incorporated. Beat egg yolks in a bowl then add all extracts into the butter-sugar mixture and combine beat it for a minute or two just till you actually see its quite fluffy and smooth. When it is really bright pretty yellow and it is quite light. Add in your vanilla and beat it in and then add in the lemon extract and then add in orange extract then mix all that in and then slowly add all dry ingredients which consist of all-purpose flour.
You are also going to be putting in a teaspoon of baking soda and also the cream of tartar that makes this cookies light and nice then stir that with your fork and then add them to the wet ingredients slowly until it is well combined and beat till cookie dough is smooth. Take your paddle out and you might find especially if your kitchen is warm you can refrigerate your dough for as long as you want so as to roll the dough into a walnut size.
Place a walnut-size cookie ball or use a small cookie scoop and roll each cookie in granulated sugar in a bowl Place on a greased baking sheet or use parchment paper Place 2 1/2 inches apart cookies will spread. Bake at 350F for 8-10 minutes but do watch them closely. You can also roll your cookie balls in coloured sugar optional. They come out beautifully with a nice light golden at the top and nice light brown at the bottom.
They will sometimes have a rough edge if you do not want that just immediately you take them out of the oven put a glass on them to make them nice and round. They have a nice soft centre once baked and they will melt in your mouth they are really light and just delicious.
- 1 cup (227 grams) butter or shortening
- 1 1/2 cups (312 grams) granulated sugar
- 6 egg yolks
- 2 1/2 cups (320 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1/2 teaspoon orange extract
- 1 1/4 cups (250 grams) granulated sugar just for rolling cookie balls
- Cream butter and sugar till fluffy
- Beat egg yolks in a bowl then add all extracts till combined
- Slowly add all dry ingredients together and beat till cookie dough is smooth.
- Place a walnut-size cookie ball or use a small cookie scoop and roll each cookie in granulated sugar
- Place on a greased baking sheet or use parchment paper
- Place 2 1/2 inches apart cookies will spread
- Bake at 350 for 8-10 minutes depending on the temperature of your oven.
- Makes 40 cookies