Just in case you are wondering how these microwave potato chips come out, they are crunchy, crispy and absolutely delicious. Start by making your potatoes chips out of russet potatoes but the beauty of this recipe is you can use any type of potatoes that you have at home. To slice your potatoes, use a sharp chopping knife, now all you want to do is cut nice, thin, as thin as you can slice of potato. you can leave the potatoes skin off, it’s totally fine. One tip about slicing the potatoes is going slow, take your time and just get as nice a thin as possible.
A good slice is one that you can almost see through it, that’s how thin it is. The thinner you slice the crispier your potato chip so go nice and slow and get that beautifully thin slice. Now once potato is enough potato chips for one person so you can slice as many as you like. Once your potatoes are all sliced, you want to plunge them into a bowl with ice in it. Now, the reason that we do this is it gets rid of the starch on the potatoes and it makes them really nice and crispy. So just give them a mush around in there with the ice and let them hang out there for around two to three minutes and get nice and cold.
So once they’ve been sitting for a few minutes we are going ahead and put them on a plate lined with kitchen paper. Now what we are going to do here is just take off the water of the potatoes and then we are going to lace them on the plate and all we are going to do is dry them out on both sides. You want to make sure your potato slice is really nice and dry. When your potatoes are nice and dry we are going to lat each slice on a plate lined with parchment paper. Now give each potato its own room, you don’t want to overlay them on each other because they will actually stick together.
Get as many potatoes on you can, so once all your potato slices are all laid out, we are going to get a little bit of oil and brush each side of the potato with some oil. Once they are all oiled on one side, flip them over and do the other side. So pop it into the microwave and set it for around two minutes on this one side. We are looking for a very light golden brown on both sides
- 2 medium-sized potatoes
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- ice water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley, crushed
- 1 teaspoon dried dill weed
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 ⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 ⁄4 teaspoon ground pepper
- Rinse potatoes, scrubbing any dirt off the skin. Peel if desired, but I like chips with the skins on.
- Thinly slice your potatoes using a knife. The thinner, the better, so you want to slice thinly enough that you are almost shaving the potato; so thin they are transparent. Slices should be between 1/8 – 1/16 inch thick.
- Immediately place slices in ice water. This helps to remove the starch and create crispy chips with those delicious air pockets.
- Dry both sides well on a kitchen towel or paper towel. The dryer they are the better they will crisp.
- Line a plate with a piece of parchment paper. Lay the potato slices out so they aren’t touching. Brush with a little olive oil, then sprinkle with salt.
- Microwave on high for roughly 1.30- 2.30 minutes on one side, and then roughly 1 – 2 minutes on the other side or until golden brown. Timing may vary based on your microwave. You will know when they are done as they will crisp and turn a toasted brown color.
- Sprinkles the finished potato chips with salt and enjoy
- BBQ flavor: In a freezer bag or bowl combine the paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and chili powder. Sprinkle mix over finished potato chips
- Ranch flavor: In a freezer bag or bowl combine all of the ingredients. Sprinkle mix over finished potato chips
- If not eating straight away, then store in an airtight container or plastic bag. Transfer chips to a bowl, then repeat with the remaining slices.