This chunky chicken and potatoes are braised in spicy Korean sauce. and the result is amazing. It’s so delicious and heartwarming. It’s a perfect main dish to serve with steamed rice. This chicken dish is cooked in a spicy red sauce along with vegetables such as potatoes, carrots, and onions. It’s usually made by cutting up a whole chicken into small pieces.
The authentic recipe calls for one whole chicken cut up. You can use a mixture of chicken thighs, drumsticks, and breast. All bone-in but skinless pieces. In a mixing bowl, combine all the seasonings together and mix well. Add the chicken and coat well then place the chicken in a braising pan or pot. Even a deep skillet would do a great job. Pour the sea kelp stock over the chicken.
To make the sea kelp stock, you simmer a large piece of dried sea kelp in water for 5-7 minutes over low heat. Let them boil first and then simmer over low heat for 20 minutes, covered. Add the diced onion and carrots and simmer for another 10 minutes over med-low heat.
Add the potatoes and simmer again for 10-15 minutes stirring gently occasionally. Cooking time can be various depends on the size of your vegetables. When the vegetables are almost tender, open the lid to evaporate the liquid in the sauce. This will help thicken the sauce. At last, add green chilli and green onion. Stir to mix well.
The chicken will fall off the bone and the spicy sauce is just to die for. Bring on the rice and serve hot.
- 1 kg chicken (2.2 pounds)
- 1 cup of water
- 2 potatoes (450g / 1 pound), cut into medium pieces
- 1 carrot (150g / 5.3 ounces), cut into medium pieces
- 1 onion (190g / 6.7 ounces), cut into medium pieces
- 3 perilla leaves, thinly sliced
- 1 stalk green onion (20g / 0.7 ounces), thinly sliced
- 1 tsp toasted sesame seeds
- 3 Tbsp chilli paste
- 2 Tbsp chilli flakes
- 2 Tbsp rice wine
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- A few sprinkles ground black pepper
- On medium-high heat, boil some water (5 to 6 cups) in a medium-sized pot.
- Once it’s rolling boiling, parboil the chicken for 1 minute. Drain the water.
- In a clean pot, add the chicken, sauce and the water. Boil them over medium-high heat for about 10 mins, covered.
- Add the potatoes, carrots, and onions and boil for a further 7 mins, covered.
- Reduce the heat to medium and stir gently to change the position of the chicken and the vegetables.
- Simmer for a further 8 mins (or until the chicken and the potatoes are fully cooked), covered.
- Garnish with the green onion and sesame seeds. Serve hot with a bowl of steamed rice.