This chocolate sheet cake is so easy, it comes together in a snap, it is delicious and loaded with chocolate with a little bit of coffee to bring the chocolate flavour out. sift all, purpose flour into a bowl and give them a whisk to distribute all the ingredients especially the leavening agent and the cocoa powder then set it aside. For the wet ingredients, add a cup of buttermilk into a large bowl together with sour cream, strong hot coffee, vegetable oil, vanilla and three eggs then mix that up.
You will then combine the wet and the dry ingredients in a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and make surer to scrape the bottom down so that everything is well-mixed in. This batter will be very liquidy but don’t worry because that is how the batter should be when baked, the cake will be fluffy and you are going to love it. Pour the batter into a prepared 9 by 13-inch pan and you can line the pan with a parchment paper.
Bake in 350 degrees Fahrenheit preheated oven for about 50 minutes and you really want to make sure the centre of the cake is set so you will give the cake a spring and make sure it is not underbaked because it will collapse when you take it too early. To make the delicious buttercream you will start with unsalted butter at room temperature into a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment then you will cream the butter and add a pinch of salt then half a cup of cocoa powder and beat that into the butter from the slow speed to high.
Add in confectioners sugar and mix that in t0ogther with a nice fudge which will bring the flavour, you can add more fudge if you want to. Once your cake is out of the oven, let it cool then you can slather the bitter cream ontop. The chocolate sheet is easy fast and delicious, it is moist you are going to love it, the good thing about this cake is that you can add a ton of frosting, spread it without breaking the cake. Try this fudgy and cream cake and enjoy.
For the Cake;
- 1/2 cup sour cream 115g
- 1 cup buttermilk 236mL
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cup coffee 354mL, strong and hot
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil 177mL
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract 15mL
- 3 cup all-purpose flour 360g
- 2 2/3 cup granulated sugar 530g
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder 50g
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder 6g
- 1 tablespoon baking soda 18g
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt 4g
For the Frosting;
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter 330g
- ½ cup cocoa powder 50g
- 3/4 teaspoon salt 4g
- 1 pound confectioners sugar 453g, sifted
- ⅓ cup fudge 100g OR ganache
- Preheat to 350 degrees. Line a 9×13 inch cake pan with parchment.
- Sift together the flour, sugar, salt, baking soda, baking powder and cocoa powder into a large bowl and whisk to combine.
- Add the sour cream, buttermilk, eggs, vanilla, and vegetable oil into a medium bowl and whisk together then pour in the coffee and mix once more.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredient bowl.
- Whisk to combine then mix on low for about a minute.
- Pour batter into the lined pan. Bake for about 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Allow cooling for a few minutes then invert onto a wire rack. Peel the parchment paper off and let cool fully.
For the Frosting;
- If you’re using a nice runny fudge then have that ready. If you don’t have that on hand then melt about 1/4 cup milk or cream with 1/4 cup dark chocolate, mix to combine then set aside to cool. Cream butter in a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Beat in cocoa powder and salt and mix until combined.
- Add the confectioner’s sugar in a few batches mixing in on low. Scrape the bowl down and mix once more.
- Add fudge or ganache in and mix until well combined. You can add milk or cream in a tablespoon at a time to thin the consistency out If needed.
For the Assembly:
- Add buttercream to the top of the cake with an ice cream scooper. Spread over with an offset spatula.