This delicious chocolate cream filled donut with a simple vanilla glaze will be your breakfast addiction. First off, you have to make your donut dough. Get your milk warm in the microwave for about 20 seconds then add sugar and yeast to the milk, give it a good stir then let that sit for about 20 minutes. Add the yeast mixture to your stand mixer, add some melted butter, break your eggs then turn the mixer on low speed and mix that for about three minutes until they are well combined. Start incorporating your all-purpose flour little by little, once its all added you are going to turn the mixer on medium speed. Allow the dough to knead for about 6 minutes until everything comes together.
Once your dough has come together and it’s silky smooth, flour your working then begin to knead the bread for a few minutes then begin to roll your dough to about an eighth of an inch thickness then begin to punch it out with some ring cutters. Once you have everything punched out, over that with a damp cloth and let them double in size which will take about an hour, the warmer your kitchen the faster they will rise. While waiting for the donuts to rise, begin making the chocolate custard filling. In a small pot, add some whole milk, egg yolks, and some vanilla extract, some sugar then begins to cook that until it reaches 160 degrees Fahrenheit. Next, add some corn starch and continue cooking that for an additional 6 minutes until it begins to thicken up. You are then going to add some chocolate chips then continue wicking that until all that chocolate is melted then put that in a piping bag then into the fridge for about 30 minutes.
Once your dough has doubled in size, its time to fill your pot halfway with oil then bring that to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and begin to fry up the donuts. These will take about three to four minutes to cook and then flip them at least two to three times during that cooking process. Once they are all done, let them dry on a wire rack or on a dry paper towel just to blot off that excess grease and let them cool off for about ten minutes before you start pipping them. Once they have cooled, begin filling them with the chocolate cream filling. Once they are all dilled up, you are going to generously top them with the vanilla gaze and let them set up for at least ten minutes if you can wait that long. Once they are all glazed and set all there is to do is enjoy your beautiful and wonderful chocolate cream filled donut.
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tsp dry active yeast
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 4 tbsp melted butter
- 1 whole egg
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- 3-4 tbsp whole milk
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract or paste (fresh pods work as well)
- Warm up the milk in the microwave to about 95°F then add it to the bowl on an electric mixer along with the granulated sugar and dry active yeast.
- Let this mixture sit for 20 minutes until it creates a layer of bubbles or foam on the surface.
- Add the melted butter and egg to the bubbling yeast mixture and stir for a minute or so.
- Attach the dough hook to the mixer and turn on low speed. Slowly start to add the flour a 1/4 cup at a time.
- Once all the flour has been added, scrape down the sides of the bowl then continue mixing until the dough has formed into a silky smooth ball.
- Flour the surface of your working surface then take the dough out of the mixture, put into on the floured surface and begin rolling it out.
- Occasionally flour the top of the dough so it doesn’t stick to the rolling pin.
- Punch the dough out with a large ring cutter, remove the excess dough, then cover with a damp cloth.
- Allow the dough to double in size which will take approximately 45 mins to an hour.
- In a small saucepan on low heat add the milk, egg yolks, vanilla extract, and sugar and bring up to 160°F making sure to constantly stir as its heat up.
- Once it’s reached 160°F add the cornstarch and turn the heat up to low-medium and begin to cook the custard until it gets very thick. It should take about 5-6 minutes.
- Once it has thickened to a pudding consistency turn the heat off and scoop the custard into a piping bag fitted with a metal tip. Refrigerate for 30-45 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl add the milk, vanilla extract, and powdered sugar and whisk until thoroughly combined.
- Once the dough has doubled in size and is ready to fry fill a pot halfway up with canola oil to 350°F and begin frying the donuts.
- They’ll take 4-5 minutes to cook and you should flip them at least 2-3 times during the cooking process to ensure an evenly cooked donut.
- Once they’re golden brown remove them from the oil and rest on a few dry paper towels or a wire rack to get rid of any excess grease.
- Let them cool down for 5-10 minutes before filling and glazing.
- Pull the chocolate cream filling out of the fridge and begin to pipe it into the center of each donut.
- You’ll have to get a little rough with the donut in order to really fill them up, so don’t be to shy when shoving the tip of the pastry bag into the middle of the fried dough.
- Next, dip the tops of the warm filled donuts in the vanilla glaze and return them to the wire rack or paper towels.
- Let these sit for 10-15 minutes in order for the glaze to set up then enjoy.