This cheesecake tastes like spring. It’s so smooth and creamy and also so light. It has a very delicate cherry blossom flavour to it, and the addition of jam to both the filling and the jelly topping gives not only a beautiful colour but also adds blossom petals to the cake. You can see them suspended in the jelly filling on top, and when you bite into a petal, you get a burst of sweetness.
You can make this cake a day before you plan to serve it to avoid feeling rushed when baking it. This is not only delicious but also so beautiful, and it would definitely be a standout dessert at any parties you are attending.
- 1 cup cream cheese
- 6 eggs, divided
- 2/3 cup sugar, divided
- 4 1/2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 cup whole milk, warm
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 cup cake flour
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons freeze-dried cherry powder, plus more for garnish
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3/4 cup cherries, halved
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons pink powdered food coloring
- Preheat oven to 320 degrees. Grease and line an 8-by-3 inch cake pan with parchment paper.
- Over low heat melt the cream cheese. Turn off the heat and incorporate the yolks, one at a time, then add half of the sugar.
- Mix in the warm butter and milk, the lemon juice and zest until combined.
- Sift in the flour, cornstarch and freeze-dried cherry powder and mix well.
- Place the egg whites in a bowl and mix on medium speed.
- When soft peaks form slowly add the cream of tartar and remaining sugar. Beat just until stiff peaks form, then slowly fold into the batter.
- Toss the cherry pieces in a tablespoon of flour then fold into the cake mix.
- Pour into prepared cake pan. Place the pan in a water bath and bake for 20 minutes.
- Lower the oven temperature to 280 degrees and bake for 40 to 50 more minutes.
- Allow the cake to cool slowly in a water bath.
- Remove parchment paper, and dust top with powdered sugar.
- Blend the powdered food coloring with the remaining powdered sugar.
- Using a cherry blossom stencil and tinted powdered sugar, dust a cherry blossom motif onto the cake. Cut and serve.