These muffins are wonderfully moist and dense with a deep chocolate flavour. The first thing you need to do is preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit which is 190 degrees Celcius then line your muffin pan with paper liners or you can just butter the pan. In a large bowl, add all-purpose flour and the chocolate flavour in these cupcakes will come from cocoa powder and some chocolate chips.
Sift the cocoa powder onto the flour, add baking powder baking soda and half a teaspoon of salt then whisk all that together. Add light brown sugar and mix it in and then add in semisweet chocolate chips or any chocolate chips that you can get your hands on. For the wet ingredients, break two large eggs into a bowl then whisk in you will also need buttermilk.
If you can get buttermilk, take your normal milk and stir in one tablespoon of lemon juice or vinegar, stir it in then let it sit for around ten minutes and your homemade buttermilk will be ready. Mix the buttermilk into the beaten eggs then add melted butter that is cooled for the flavouring, you will add vanilla extract then add coffee extract.
Coffee and extract bring out the chocolate flavour more. Whisk everything together then make a little bit of a well in the dry mixture and add the wet mixture, you just want to combine them until they are mixed, overmixing your batter will make your muffins a little tough, and that’s why it is preferable to make this batter by hand.
Fill the muffin cups with the batter and if you want to fill them almost right to the top you can use a spoon or an ice cream scoop to pour the batter into the muffin cups. To bake the muffins, everyone’s oven is a little different so you want to bake these muffins for 20 minutes and start checking if your muffins are ready from ten 18th minutes just to make sure your muffins are not overbaked.
Once baked, place your pan on a wire rack and let them cool for quite a few minutes then remove them from the pan. These muffins have a deep chocolate flavour and the chocolate chips double dose the chocolate. These muffins are a decadent way to start your day and enjoy.
- 2 large (100 grams/ 3.5Oz) eggs, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup (113 grams/ 3.9Oz) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 cup (240 ml) of buttermilk, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons (8 grams) of pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon (4 grams) pure coffee extract (optional)
- 1 3/4 cups (225 grams/ 7.9Oz) of all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup (60 grams/ 2.1Oz) unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted (can use regular unsweetened or Dutch-processed)
- 1 1/4 cups (250 grams/ 8.8Oz) of light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 teaspoon (4 grams) baking powder
- 1 teaspoon (4 grams) of baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon (2 grams) salt
- 1 cup (170 grams/ 5.9Oz) of semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Place the oven rack in the centre of the oven. Butter, or line 12 muffin cups with paper liners.
- In a bowl whisk the eggs. Next, whisk in the melted butter, buttermilk, vanilla extract, and coffee extract (if using).
- In another large bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and then fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Stir only until the ingredients are combined. Do not over-mix the batter or the baked muffins with being tough.
- Evenly fill the muffin cups with the batter (the muffin cups will be full), using two spoons or an ice cream scoop.
- Place in the oven and bake until a toothpick inserted into the centre of a muffin comes out with a few moist crumbs clinging to it (about 20 minutes).
- Transfer to a wire rack and let cool for about 5 minutes before removing from the pan.