Cheese biscuits just like any other biscuits are easy to make and they bake delicious cheesy and buttery cookies with a good balance of sweet and salty taste for you. Place softened butter into a large bowl then add grated cheddar cheese then blend them with a beater until the cheese is incorporated into the butter. Once done, set it aside.
For the dry ingredients, sift whole wheat flour into a bowl and into that add a teaspoon of red chilli powder or paprika powder and a tea of salt then give that a good mix. Start adding the flour into the butter mixture and mix them until the flour gets mixed with the butter and the cheese. It is important not to overmix this dough so just mix it until the dough comes together.
Divide the dough into two halves then form each half into a log. Place each log into a parchment paper and roll it in and twist the end of the paper so the rolled dough is fully covered in the parchment paper. Place the dough into the fridge to chill for about three to four hours. Once chilled carefully unwrap the dough then cut them into quarter-inch slices then place them on a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
You can make any patterns that you want o your cookies at this point like pressing a fork on the cookies to have a criss-cross pattern or any other pattern that you want. Place the cookies in 200 degrees Celcius preheated oven and bake them for 10 to 12 minutes or until they are golden brown at the edges. Every oven is different so watch your oven carefully. Once baked, let them chill before serving. Enjoy.
- 140 gm (1 cup) whole wheat flour
- 100 gm (1/2 cup) butter
- 200 gm (1 1/2 cups packed) cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper or red chilli powder or paprika powder
- 1 tsp salt
- In a large bowl, with the help of a handheld mixer blend the butter and cheese until smooth. In another bowl mix in the flour salt and chilli powder.
- Stir the dry ingredients into the butter and cheese and mix well with your hands until the dough comes together.
- Alternatively, cut chilled butter and cheddar cheese into cubes and process in a food processor fitted with a metal blade. put in the dry ingredients and process again until you you have a smooth dough. Do not over-process the dough.
- Form the dough into a ball and knead briefly for a minute or two and then divide into 2 equal halves.
- Roll the dough into a log and wrap with baking parchment or greaseproof paper. Twist the ends to seal it.
- Chill the logs for 3 to 4 hours in the refrigerator. If you are in a hurry, put the logs in the freezer for about 30 minutes. This makes it easier to cut into slices.
- Unwrap the chilled dough. Cut into 1/4” slices. Place them on a baking sheet covered with parchment or greaseproof paper.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 200 degrees centigrade (400 F) for 10 to 12 minutes or until browned at the edges. If you have cut your slices very thin, it could be done in 8 minutes.